Two from the shop:1st fountain pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Darrin

Darrin

I made my 1st fountain pen today. Im pretty pleased overall although I have to ask....when using dry (VERY DRY..10+ years dry) wood, how do you control the splintering around the brass tubes when trimming the barrel? I made my own repairs but would rather not have to next time. Anyhow, This is a Baron made out of Redwood Burl. The next is a Sierra made from Buckeye burl. I love burls....as many know. :)

Attachments

• RedwoodBurlFountainBaron2.jpg
    RedwoodBurlFountainBaron2.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 222
  • Buckeyeburlpen.jpg
    Buckeyeburlpen.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 190
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
They both look great. I think you might try some thin CA on the ends before you use the
end mill .. and might be better off sanding rather than milling the ends. Cut as close as
you can, apply CA to stiffen up the end grain and then sand with (220?) down to size

gatornick

I just used redwood burl this weekend, and I couldn't get it to stop splintering even with CA. I have a sanding mill that I made by turning an old end mill around, and it definately solved the problem. Redwood is so soft that sanding the ends was very easy.

jkeithrussell

Use a belt sander instead of a barrel trimmer. If done correctly, it will save you a lot of time and aggravation.

Good looking pens.

Darrin

Thanks guys. A belt sander eh?? Well, I'll just have to sit the wife down and let her read these comments so I can justify it ;) Thanks folks!!

Top Bottom