Two Saturday Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Band Saw Box

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Hello All
I thought I would be spending the day with our grandkids but that didn't work out so I spent a little time on the lathe. The first is a PAI .30 Cal. click pen in Cocobolo, this was the first time I turned Cocobolo, I did make a scrollsaw bowl and it was some hard stuff to cut, but it turns really nice and take a wonderful finish. The second pen is a PSI slimline Pro it's a click pen as well it in panga panga. I thought I had turned it before but I know now that I was wrong. It turns nice and finish well. Both are finished with WTF. As always any and all comments are welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_0023.jpg
    IMG_0023.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_0024.jpg
    IMG_0024.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_0027.jpg
    IMG_0027.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_0028.jpg
    IMG_0028.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 142
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mike Powell

So far in the litttle bit of woods that I have turned, Cocobolo is probably my second favorite behind Olive Wood. I just dont like drilling Cocobolo, it is so hard. BUT, I am supposed to get a drill press when I get home, so that should me it easier.

OZturner

Dan, Probably making Pens in your workshop would have been a lot more relaxing than spending the day with your five glorious Grandchildren. I expect that is postponed until the weather gets a bit better.
Love the Cocobolo Cartridge Pen,
The Panga Panga I had to look it up, so for the benefit of others, the link is Panga Panga | The Wood Database - Lumber Identification (Hardwoods), A very interesting timber.
Your Fit and Finish is excellent.
Congratulations,
Brian

Last edited:

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Thanks for all the great comments. I have to say I really like the Cocobolo it looks great and I like the way it sounds like Bubinga. I want sure on how the WTF would take to the Cocobolo so I wiped it down with denatured alcohol. I really like the WTF it really easy to use. Brian thanks for posting the information on panga panga. It nice to know a little about the wood your using. Mike a drill press will make drilling Cocobola much easier and if it still to hard maybe Dave can get a Mark 82 to help soften it up.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Really nice pens! Me... I like the Panga Panga. :)

Thanks for posting... Now - back to those grandchildren!!!

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Thank for all the complements on my work. I have to say I like the Cocobolo the best as well. Thanks for the blank Jim. I'm not sure if turning pen is more relaxing the spending the day with our grandkids, our granddaughter likes to put me in time out, I have to go to bed and watch a movie.

Top Bottom