Two recent trades

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from clthayer

Status
Not open for further replies.

clthayer

A couple of weeks ago I posted that I was looking to trade for some Osage Orange. Two IAP members contacted me who were willing to trade. I thought that I must share some pics of some of the pens I have made from the wood I recieved.

First three are Osage Orange that I recieved from GaryMGg.

200712715513_100_2171.jpg

Two slim lines in chrome and black chrome

The next is my fourth closed end baron, a satin nickel rollerball

200712715639_100_2173.jpg

My other trading partner is Don Ward. He said that he had never turned cherry so I sent him a box of Vermont grown and milled black cherry including some nice cherry burl. In return I recieved a bunch of nice OO, plus some mesquite and other texas woods. But the jewel in the box was this baby.

20071272226_100_2184.jpg

2007127234_100_2185.jpg

The snake skin blank is absolutely gorgeous and the resin is flawless and turned like a dream. I'm not so sure about my choice for the lower end of the pen though, I may have to find something with a little less character so that the focus of the pen is on the snake skin.

Thanks a bunch to the both of you.

Comments on the pens welcome.

Christian

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LEAP

Nice,
I love the shape of the closed end Baron, especially the upper barrel. The snake pen looks good but I agree with you the lower half takes away from the snake skin. Something dark with little or no figure would look fantastic.

mrcook4570

Originally posted by clthayer
<br /> I'm not so sure about my choice for the lower end of the pen though, I may have to find something with a little less character so that the focus of the pen is on the snake skin.

Perhaps mesquite to match the wood accents on the upper half.

GaryMGg

Christian,
Superb snake skin pen although I agree -- a plain bottom would do it justice better.
That's a great lookin' baron. Good wood too. [;)]
I've had little time to turn lately but did make another curly ash pen from the stock you sent. It's really nice to work with and takes a CA finish well.
Glad you're enjoying the OO.
- G -

clthayer

Thank all for responding. I cut a piece of brown maple burl for the lower half of the snake pen, I'll post pics when I get it done. It has some nice swirls in it, but is a little less busy than the present maple burl.

Originally posted by GaryMGg
<br />
I've had little time to turn lately but did make another curly ash pen from the stock you sent. It's really nice to work with and takes a CA finish well.
Glad you're enjoying the OO.
- G -

The curly ash is one of my many favorite. It is also a good seller, the OO is fast becoming another of my favorites. I like how it is yellow when I look at it from the side, but when I turn it endways it turns orange and the rings look like pin stripes. Thanks again for trading with me.

Christian

clthayer

Originally posted by mrcook4570
<br />
<br /> I'm not so sure about my choice for the lower end of the pen though, I may have to find something with a little less character so that the focus of the pen is on the snake skin.

Perhaps mesquite to match the wood accents on the upper half.

Actually the accents on the upper half are from the same maple burl as the lower half of the pen.

its_virgil

<br />A couple of weeks ago I posted that I was looking to trade for some Osage Orange. Two IAP members contacted me who were willing to trade.

<b>Christian,
Sorry I missed this thread about the wood trade. I enjoyed the trade. </b>

My other trading partner is Don Ward. He said that he had never turned cherry so I sent him a box of Vermont grown and milled black cherry including some nice cherry burl. In return I recieved a bunch of nice OO, plus some mesquite and other texas woods. But the jewel in the box was this baby.

The snake skin blank is absolutely gorgeous and the resin is flawless and turned like a dream. I'm not so sure about my choice for the lower end of the pen though, I may have to find something with a little less character so that the focus of the pen is on the snake skin.

Thanks a bunch to the both of you.
Christian
<b> I do hope you enjoy the Texas woods. I'm looking forward to the slab of cherry burl drying a little so I can turn it into some type of vessel and I'll be turning the the pen blanks into pens. I'm especially pleased you like my snake skin blanks and had such good success turning it. I like snake skin pens no matter how they look and you did a great job on both tries, but I like the first one better. Thanks again for the trade.
Do a good turn daily!
Don</b>

broitblat

The beautiful thing about trading is that both partners have the opportunity to come out ahead. It sure looks like you did well with what you got [:)]

-Barry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom