Two new slimlines

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JimGo

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimGo

I've been impressed with the pens Billy Burt has been making lately, and thought I'd try one myself. For a first try, and considering I couldn't remember exactly what his looked like when I got out to the shop, it doesn't look too bad, but it isn't QUITE a Burt-line (with apologies to Russ). It's cocobolo (in case you couldn't tell/guess), no finish but MM.

As always, comments/critiques/criticisms are welcome.

200653132637_DSCN4031.jpg

This is the second one. I can't quite ID the wood. My guess is Bocote, but I'm not sure since I don't have any other blanks for reference.

20065313287_DSCN4034.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dubdrvrkev

I'd agree with bocote on your second pen. I like how you worked the solid pen look on that one.
If I was to critique the top pen, I guess I'd have to say I don't like the flow of the halves. It may be more of a personal thing, but I don't like when the lower barrel meets the upper at such an angle. Don't get me wrong I can't do it any better.[;)]

Scott

Hey Jim! Nice pens! I'd agree with Bocote on that second one. I really like how you hid the join on that second one! I just got through writing an article on that topic, and I wish I had a picture of your pen to illustrate! I couldn't have done it as well!

Scott.

JimGo

Thanks for the feedback!

Scott, I'm very flattered! If there's still time, you're welcome to use the picture, or I can send the pen so you can take another picture.

Kevin, I agree about the lower barrel's shape on that first pen. I thought it would look different when assembled. When I was done I came in and looked at Billy's other pens, and immediately realized what I had done differently.

Scott

Thanks Jim! The article is all done and turned in, so it is too late, but I appreciate the offer! In my article I am at one point discussing making a slimline pen without a centerband, and how to disguise the join with a series of beads or grooves. Your pen perfectly illustrates that concept (and looks great, too!).

Scott.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom