Two new pens today.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dale Parrott

Dale Parrott

I was able to spend some time in my shop yesterday and today with a goal of learning to make the Celtic Knot. The pens the photo are number 2 and 3 and I really don't want to talk about number 1. When trying something new I use my free or cheap wood as not to waste the good stuff. I used Oak for the body and Jatoba for the knots and of course Slimlines until I refine my skills.
As a beginner I'm always open for suggestions and tips.

Attachments

• Celtic Knot Pens low res.jpg
    Celtic Knot Pens low res.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 260
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sataro

Both of those pens look good Dale! Knots look good. Cheap wood? Wood looks good to me! :)

BigE

Looks good, Dale.

Did you cut those with a bandsaw or by hand?

The knots look too thin to have been done on a tablesaw (I like the thinner better).

Regards,
Steve
Http://pens.Bigelowsite.com

Last edited:

Dale Parrott

Knots

Thank you for your kind words.
I started with 1" squares and drilled the hole first on my lathe. I figured I had a better chance of messing the centering of the hole than cutting the angles on the band saw. I made a small band saw sled and then outfitted it with a 60 degree angle block as well as a stop block.After all the gluing was done I very carefully redrilled to cut through the Jatoba. I used medium CA for all the joints.

One of the things I learned from this experience is that if you go to all the trouble to make a knot you might as well do a batch while you're all set up.

Top Bottom