Two New Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wdcav1952

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
I didn't feel up to turning today; so I assembled two pens that had been waiting for the finish to cure.

The Statesman is from Ancient Kauri. It is finished with Waterlox, followed by TSW. The Kauri is a subdued wood, but the history involved is awesome.

The Baron is a blank from Wayne Swindlehurst. I am not sure what the wood is. Wayne thought it might be Madrone Burl, but there are pink tones that my photography does not show. The pen is finished with Enduro, again followed by TSW. Thank you Wayne for a wonderful blank.

As always, any comments, + or- are welcome.

2005111714436_Kauri%20Statesman.jpg

200511171465_Swindlehurst%20Baron.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ron Mc

Very nice William. The second does have that Madrone look to it. If I may ask where did you get the Ancient Kauri?

wdcav1952

Originally posted by Ron Mc
<br />Very nice William. The second does have that Madrone look to it. If I may ask where did you get the Ancient Kauri?

Thanks Ron. After communicating with Wayne, I believe it is madrone, just the prettiest I have ever turned!

I got the Kauri from http://ancientwood.com/
They are really nice folks to do business with. It is not on their list of sale items, but by email they advised me that they offered a package of 10 blanks, 5 plain grain and 5 active along with 10 brochures and 10 certificates of authenticity. I don't recall the price. Word of caution, it is fragile wood.

wdcav1952

Originally posted by darbytee
<br />Two really nice ones William. I really like that kauri. I'm hooked on the Enduro finish. I'm going to have to name a pen after Wayne for sharing the technique.

Thanks Fred, BTW, the Madrone (thank you for introducing me to madrone last year) pen is named "The Swindlehurst Baron."

BigRob777

William,
Very nice pens. I especially like the birdseyes. They aren't overdone. They also catch the light wonderfully (awesome finish as well as fit). I think we had the opposite problems tonight. I am champing at the bit to turn, but my back won't let me, so I am stuck inside. At least I can look at what everyone else has turned. I am hoping to set my own record. Three pens in two days. Actually more than one in a week would be a record for me. Keep it up, these are awesome. I wondered about that kauri also. It must be really expensive.
Rob

William, both are good looking pens. You are correct in saying that the kauri is subdued. I like the unknown blank for it's grain pattern.

wayneis

Fred you and William are nuts, you both make pretty nice pens but you are both crazy. Oh ya thanks for the kind words. [:D]

William I'm thinking about making an Emperor with the piece of Kauri, I think that it would make a nice looking pen and I've been saving it for that just right kit.

Wayne

By the way, why didn't you finish both pens with Enduro? If you are getting low maybe I can send you some.[:D][}:)][:D]

William,
Very nicely done. Hope your experience with kauri was the same as mine...for me it turned like butter and took a finish as well as any other wood. It is subtle, and has an attractive shimmer to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom