Two New Ones...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bgray

bgray

The first is made of striated casein.

The last photo shows a barrel that cracked. I tested the material for ink staining. It definitely soaks up ink, so the section had to be black.

dscn0002_191.jpg
dscn0001_345.jpg
dscn0003_280.jpg
dscn0005_617.jpg

Next is lavender ebonite. Definitely some cool stuff.

dscn0005_2_182.jpg
dscn0006_2_125.jpg

Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Beautiful work. Not sure about the position of the second clip, but very classy pens either way:wink:

aggromere

Very cool pens. You make some outstanding pens. I love the clips. Do you buy them somewhere or make them?

bgray

The casein is very difficult to find. I got this from a fellow penmaker, and he could only spare about 14 inches. I'm now looking for a source in the UK. If anything comes of it, I'll share.

This casein is very difficult to work. Other casein that I've used was easier. This stuff is soft and brittle. You should have heard me when I cracked the first barrel.

With a wood lathe, a skew would be mandatory, and even then it would take very very light passes.

I used a metal lathe with a very sharp boring bar. Even then, if I took more than .020" per pass at 1400 RPM, I tore out. I went .010" per pass.

Tedious, but worth it.

PR_Princess

We have a little of the casein available in 22mm rod (plus a few other goodies that have not quite made the site yet.:redface:). However, be forewarned that the casein is pricey stuff!:eek:

I don't want to hijack Brian's thread, so Ed4copies will make a post later or you can PM him for more info.

Top Bottom