Two New Kits; Two New Materials

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from walshjp17

walshjp17

I bought some Mazzucchelli Cebloplast (Autumn) from Roy at Classic Nib a while ago. I decided to turn some of it and since I had one of the new PSI Tec Bolt Action, Antique Brass plated kits, I thought I would give it a try. The cebloplast turns like butter. Lovely stuff. The Tec Bolt Action kit is nice as well. One tip: when squaring the blank, use a pen mill. DO NOT use a sander -- DAMHIKT. (the stuff melts :eek:)

I also bought a few of the Pensar kits from Berea and instead of turning two different blanks, I used the same blank for both tubes. This material is called Nylatron - a nylon plastic used to cast plastic parts for machines and to make casters. It turns nicely as well, but be prepared to stop and clear the strands that come off. It is almost like rubber. The plating in this pen is Gun Metal and it goes well with the Nylatron. The Nylatron, when turned has blotches that resemble tiger stripes. It really looks good in person.

Apologies for the photos. They're from my iPhone; still waiting for a new lens for my Canon EOS 30D.

Attachments

• Pensar 1.jpg
    Pensar 1.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 309
  • Pensar 2.JPG
    Pensar 2.JPG
    104.1 KB · Views: 264
  • Tec Bolt 1.jpg
    Tec Bolt 1.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 279
  • Tec Bolt 2.JPG
    Tec Bolt 2.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 317
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

walshjp17

Actually, I like the Tec pen much better than the original bolt action bullet pens. The bolt action mechanism seems much more solid and the bolt itself is a lot shorter than the original and does nor seem to loosen as the original does.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

turncrazy43

John, where did you get the Nylatron? Might be worth a try.

walshjp17

One of the members of the local IAP chapter had some and gave it away at our last meeting.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Brooks803

Looks great John...did you get that nylatron from Hans? He had given me a bit of it and you do have to stop every so often and CUT the strands off! Yours looks great.

BSea

I really like the finish on the Tec bolt pen. It looks very . . . . . well . . . . teckie.:rolleyes:

The cebloplast looks great with the pen too.

I'm not too crazy about the other kit. It reminds me of an executive pen, but they just added a centerband. But I do like the blank.

Edit: Actually, the more I look at the kit, it looks like a cross between an executive and a sierra. The centerband just looks wrong to me somehow.

Last edited:

walshjp17

Actually you can eliminate the centerband and use a longer 27/64" (Sierra style) tube. My next iteration will be without the centerband.

Last edited:
Top Bottom