Two Navigators

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from VampMN

VampMN

Finally getting around to posting some pictures. I mostly lurk, but I thought I'd show some of my pens, since pretty much everything I know, I have learned reading on this site.

First one is the first navigator I did. It's chrome with Bloody Jasper Tru-Stone.

Second is the other Navigator I've done. It's also my first attempt at doing any kind of customization to a kit. It's Gold with a Black Cherry acrylic blank from Woodcraft. I turned the finial and the and the centerband to match. The finial came out a little smaller than I wanted, but over all I'm pretty happy with it.

Sorry the pictures aren't great. Still working on that. I would appreciate all comments and feedback. Good or bad. Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

VampMN

Thanks for all the comments! These are the two pens I'm most proud of so far.

Jennifer, for the centerband, I mounted the cutoff as directed in this pdf; http://content.penturners.org/articles/2008/custom_finial.pdf

I then took the kit cb and measured all the dimensions I could think of with a set of calipers. I turned the blank down to close to final diameter, and drilled a hole the same size as the hole in the kit ring. I then used my skew to start a parting off line, but stopped short of going all the way through. I then sanded and mm, etc, before parting the rest of the way off. I then parted it the rest of the way off, then sanded, etc. the flat sides (very carefully). I hope that makes sense. Let me know if it didn't.

bitshird

Very nice pens, Now tell me why you were concerned about entering the PITH, you did a very nice job on the modded Center band and Finial and I would be proud to own either of those pens, they are great.

VampMN

John, I sure wish I could take credit for that finial, but I found it here in the library. So much great information here.

Ken, thank you so much for your kind words. I guess I was worried, because these are definitely my best pens. My others aren't as good. But I think they are steadily getting better. Hopefully I'll do whoever I get as a partner in the PITH justice.

BTW, I've been using my bowl pro, and I love it. Still getting the hang of it, but I really like it. I turned a nice Jobillo handle for it. I was pretty happy with how it came out. Maybe I'll take a picture to post.

Top Bottom