Two of my Latest Creations

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from melogic

Status
Not open for further replies.

melogic

This is a Gold European pen made from Teak that I purchased from Daniel Yourdon. I wish the scan looked better.

2004122011229_Gold%20Euro_Teak_Resized.jpg

This is a Black Titanium European made from Camphorwood. This wood is awesome. It smells like Vicks vapor rub.

22011256_Euro_Black%20Titanium_Camphorwood_Resized.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

melogic

Thanks for the comments. I really like the Camphorwood. I found it at a Wood Carving Expo in Columbus, Ohio. I have the persons name I purchased it from, I think I'm going to get some more of this. I was amazed how strong the odor is even after several coats of wax. It is really strong and I love it.

Dave C

melogic,
Very Nice looking pens!!! Camphorwood smells like Vick's Vapo Rub Hmmmmm... Maybe I should get some for the next time I get a stuffed up head [;)]
Happy Holidays,
Dave

Daniel

Thanks Marc,
the top half of the Teak Pen really shocked me when I first saw it.
Vics. eh. i'll remember that the next time my allergies start up.
Sorry honey can't unclog that drain right now. gotta go to the shop and unclog my nose:)
they are both fine looking pens but I have a bias toward the Teak.

bajacrazy

Nice looking pens. Every time I read something about how the wood smell or how it turns etc. I just go out and purchase some to try it first hand. I can’t tell how many different woods I’ve purchased since joining this forum. I guess its time to buy some Camphor wood.[:D]

tipusnr

Nice looking pens. When were you at the Woodcarving Expo? It wasn't the one at the Shriner's Hall over by Easton, was it? If so, I was next door at the Holiday Expo with spouse and her relatives. Wanted to get over there but only so much walking booth to booth I can take before I want to go home!

jkirkb94

Great looking pens! It's fun to turn woods that have nice smells to them like cedar and olivewood also. You might be a little extra cautious with the camphor since I seem to remember seeing somewhere that it is a fairly toxic wood.[xx(] If anyone else knows about this it might help.[:D] I'm not 100% certain. After hearing about a local woodturner who had a really good allergic reaction to cocobolo, I've been a little more cautious. Kirk[8D]

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Camphor toxicity is fairly well documented. It's primary form of toxicity is ingestion swallowing) rather than respiration (breathing). Safety, particularly in our craft, dictates that respiratory protection efforts be made, such as the use of masks, filters and respirators. FYI, camphor is believed to be non-carcinogenic (not cancer-causing). For more information, see http://www.inchem.org/documents/pims/pharm/camphor.htm . [8D]

melogic

Tip,
Yes it was at the Shriners hall. There was a lot of nice woods and carvings there. My family and I went to the carving side first then through the crafters side. We saw a lot of wonderful things there in the crafters side as well. We had a lot of fun. I got so worked up, I went to Woodcraft afterwards and spent a couple hundred dollars on woods and pen stuff.
I took the Camphor/Black Titanium pen to work last night and sold it for $45. I also got an order for a pen/pencil set just like it which I quoted a price of $70 for the set. Now I have to see if I can find the Black Titanium pencil.
Thanks for all of the wonderful comments!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom