Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from skiprat

Status
Not open for further replies.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Hi again,
These two were easy peasy to make. I'm not too keen on the normal double ended teacher's pen, so I made this pair for my wife who is a high school teacher. She has most of the others as well.[}:)]
The aluminium was sourced in true skiprat tradition too. In a former life it was an military antenae ( spelling?) I got it out of a skip with permission while doing some work at an Airforce base the other day. I got about 10 metres of the stuff, so expect to see some more.
:D

2007211174712_TeachersPets.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodlvr

Thise are totally awesome. Did you have to turn the aluminum down very much? Great Job as usual.[:D]

Mike

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Thanks again for all comments

Originally posted by Woodlvr
<br />Thise are totally awesome. Did you have to turn the aluminum down very much? Great Job as usual.[:D]

Mike

Mike I have only turned one metal pen in the traditional manner with chisels. The experience was too scary for me, so now I do all of them with a file. Lathe on slowest speed. I find that I have tons more control and get better results that way. I do keep a wire brush at hand and keep the file clean or the build up will wreck the pen. On these, I was very lucky, I only had to taper the end near the nib. My brass ones take for ever!![8D]

LEAP

Am I mistaken or do you take the refills out and stand the pen on a pin for the pictures? I like how it looks like its floating. Awesome pens by the way I just picked up some 3/4 square aluminum. 3 sticks about 10ft long each. It was a freebie as I found them in my brothers garage and told him he did not need them. Thanks for the tip about using a file I had not thought of that. Did I mention that the pens are awesome?

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Originally posted by LEAP
<br />Am I mistaken or do you take the refills out and stand the pen on a pin for the pictures? I like how it looks like its floating.
Well spotted Phil, that's exactly what I do. Not high tech I know[:I]

Two small nails (heads cut off )in a MDF board and a sheet of coloured paper over them and up the back

Originally posted by skiprat

Mike I have only turned one metal pen in the traditional manner with chisels. The experience was too scary for me, so now I do all of them with a file. Lathe on slowest speed. I find that I have tons more control and get better results that way. I do keep a wire brush at hand and keep the file clean or the build up will wreck the pen. On these, I was very lucky, I only had to taper the end near the nib. My brass ones take for ever!![8D]

If you put chalk on the file it won't pin as much and when it does get clogged the aluminum will come off easier.

alxe24

Those a awesome looking. Congrats.
Shoud you have some excess aluminus that you don't know what to do with let me know. I'll recycle it for you.[:D]

alamocdc

I really like these, Skip! Nice looking set and I may just have to follow suit. LOML is also a HS teacher, but she prefers Gels, so I'll need to use a Parker style... off to the drawing board.[;)]

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
If you put chalk on the file it won't pin as much and when it does get clogged the aluminum will come off easier.
[/quote]

George,Thanks for that good tip, I'm certainly going to give it a go[:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom