Two more slimlines by Badger

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from badger

Status
Not open for further replies.

badger

I got some time in the garage tonight, and I pulled a couple new tricks off.

First up is a segmented slimline pencil with alternating bands of Walnut and Tulipwood. I had wanted to do a cool increasing width run up, but it didn't work out as planned. But I like it anyway. Finished in CA/Walnut Oil (more on this later) for the very first time, I usually do a friction polish.

SegementedPencil01_md.jpg

Second slimline pen is another experimental piece. This is a piece of blond colored Bamboo that is dyed with a Chocolate Brown leather dye after being sanded to 600 grit. Finish is CA/WO. I was startled at how the color came out, but I really like it

DyedBamboo02_md.jpg

Notes on my first attempt at finishing with CA. Having read about the finish all the time on this forum, I decided to give it a try. I don't have any thin CA, or BLO actually, so I just made do with what I had. Medium CA, and Walnut Oil. I applied 4-5 drops of CA on a paper towel and applied to the sanded blank. (I got down to 600 grit) Then I took another towel, and dabbed some Walnut Oil on it, applied to CA, and did the rubbing back and forth quickly down the length thing I read about. It quickly shined up, and cured. I repeated it two more times for a total of three coats. Not sure if I needed more, but it looked pretty good. Also, it doesn't feel very plastic like which I had read about. It feels pretty nice.

badger

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom