Two More Slimlines

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Big

Big

I am working with "Slimlines" and "Creeklines" in particular to learn on. I think I am getting more of an idea as I do more pens. Here is what I did today with a piece of Purple Heart wood and a pink acrylic blank.

I will welcome all the coaching and mentoring that is offered. I do want to make good pens that I can be proud of and strive to do better each time.

Thank you all for being so great to me in every way!

Attachments

• Todays Pens 9-10-2014.jpg
    Todays Pens 9-10-2014.jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 218
  • Purple Heart A.jpg
    Purple Heart A.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 174
  • More Turning Pink Acrylic A.jpg
    More Turning Pink Acrylic A.jpg
    328.5 KB · Views: 197
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Looking good Mike! One possible problem... The d..m lathe is clean! Maybe we need a new phrase: No shavings, no turning! Ya don't need to clean up the lathe to impress us :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:.

Every day it gets better.

Enjoy.

GaryMGg

Hi Mike,
The pink acrylic looks pretty flawless.
The purple heart looks good. It appears there may be some tearout and/or some swirls in the finish. I can't tell from the photo if there's really something there.
If it's got some tearout--sharper tools and lighter cuts as you get closer to completing the blank.
If there are swirls in the finish--try wet sanding through the micromesh grits; for each grit, you sand lightly with the lathe running, then sand with the grain with the lathe off before moving to the next grit.

plantman

Mike; I'm in agreement with Mark. A clean lathe means you still have to much time on your hands. Pens are looking good !! If you want some C/C though, you are going to have to post photos of compleated pens so we can see the fit, finish, and general overall look. My next step would be to loose the Wasp waist band and glue on a contrasting color band. This will also let you expand and change the shape and size of your pens. Take your time and master one step before moving onto the next. Ask questions if need be, and keep turning. Jim S

Rockytime

Even though your pens are not assembled the blanks you have turned look great. BTW, after turning a blank I always vacuum and sweep all the chips and shavings. My working area is so small I have to keep it cleaned up. I'm not a neat freak but it is hard to work in a clutter. When my metal working machinery is moved out of my shop I can move in turning equipment.
You are doing well.

Jim Burr

Banned
Looking at your pictures Mike, the barrel ends of the purple heart seem to be darker than the rest of the pen. Are you doing something different...sanding pressure, bruised wood, different finish application...just wondering. Looking good so far!!!
Don't forget to send my your email!!

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Looking good Mike! One possible problem... The d..m lathe is clean! Maybe we need a new phrase: No shavings, no turning! Ya don't need to clean up the lathe to impress us :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:.

Every day it gets better.

Enjoy.
I vacuum my lathe between turning and finishing on EVERY turning. Takes me 37 seconds and I don't have to cope with the dirt while finishing..

Top Bottom