Two more Drill Press Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ghostrider

ghostrider

Still struggling with the finish on this Spalted maple.

Managed to get the first one close enough for me, but the second one didn't want to cooperate. Called it good.

Attachments

• DSCN0759.jpg
    DSCN0759.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 164
  • DSCN0763.jpg
    DSCN0763.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 132
  • DSCN0768.jpg
    DSCN0768.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 115
  • DSCN0783.jpg
    DSCN0783.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 164
  • DSCN0779.jpg
    DSCN0779.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 113
  • DSCN0786.jpg
    DSCN0786.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

ctubbs

The pics loaded for me just fine. The first one is outstanding, you rolled the timber to the fittings very well. It is almost impossible to mke the wood look right without letting the blank roll in a bit. The second one is just fine. Myself, I would never even attempt to CA finish something with groves that small, but you have an acceptable job with them, very good.
Charles

ghostrider

The pics loaded for me just fine. The first one is outstanding, you rolled the timber to the fittings very well. It is almost impossible to mke the wood look right without letting the blank roll in a bit. The second one is just fine. Myself, I would never even attempt to CA finish something with groves that small, but you have an acceptable job with them, very good.
Charles
Thanks.

On the first one, I had to re-apply the finish because it was thin in spots (seen in an earlier thread).

I personally like the way the cigar pens look with the lower barrel rolled into the coupler. That way I can keep it the same width as the upper barrel at the center. I got lucky with the lower portions of each barrel going flush. Originally the upper barrel was thinner than the the fitting at the center, so I built it up with CA. Must have used about a quarter bottle.

The second one had a rough finish on it. After an afternoon of hand rubbing it smoothed out.

Both could have been better, but I get to the point where it's a trade off of risking doing more harm than good by redoing it.

Top Bottom