Two monocots on a Triton

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MikeL

MikeL

No, I didn't know black palm and bamboo were monocots until I looked it up. I have always found the end grains of these two woods to have a striking appearance so I decided to make a pen with end grain showing. What a tough pen to make. The black palm has hard and soft wood and the bamboo isn't much different. Now flip them to the grain side and try to turn that. I had plenty of issues with flying pieces of wood. There were many come-aparts! I had at least one and the blanks had five or so. Eventually, using the combination of really sharp tools and doing some power sanding, I was able to get the blanks down to size and shape. In between the wood is brass and aluminum. I don't believe I will be making an end grain pen again. I like the results but it took about three days considering the re-builds and come-aparts.

Attachments

• TritonBlackPalmBamboo1.jpg
    TritonBlackPalmBamboo1.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 307
  • TritonBlackPalmBamboo.jpg
    TritonBlackPalmBamboo.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 299
  • TritonBlackPalmBamboo2.jpg
    TritonBlackPalmBamboo2.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 250
  • TritonBlackPalmBamboo3.jpg
    TritonBlackPalmBamboo3.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 204
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MikeL

Thanks for the comments.

Mike,

You said brass and aluminum, but it looks like copper and aluminum... brain fart?

Dan,
I went to the shop to see what was on the package. No package to find. I get my metal from hobby lobby. I think it is brass based on the yellowish color of what is in the shop. I don't recall buying copper from hobby lobby but they carry both. Bottom line, I'm going with brass but I can't prove it.

MikeL

Wow, that looks fantastic! I may have to try that...

Good luck. :) I would recommend smoothing the edges with rough sandpaper first or maybe band sawing off the corners first. I did not do that at first and I paid for it.

OZturner

A Real "Eye Catcher"
Love your choice of Pen, Timbers, and Inserts.
Fit and Finish is Spot On, Great Work.
Though you had difficulties, it is gratifying to extend oneself, to acheive the "Impossible".
Congratulations,
Brian

Ambidex

That could be one of the nicest pens I've seen...and on this site that's saying something..the third pic I can't quit going back to and going holy crap that pen is beautiful:eek::biggrin:

Top Bottom