Two Mirages

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Sandsini

Sandsini

I turned a couple of the new Mirage Rollerball Pens from Exotic Blanks last weekend and thought I would give you all a look at them.

The advantage of these kits is the large size, low price and the considerable amount of material they display. Due to the minimal metal components, the Mirage isn't overly weighty, but has a good feel to it. Unfortunately, for me (a guy with large hands), the nib area is considerably smaller than the rest of the pen. The look is a little jarring when you take off the cap, but in use, it works. It's just not the large masculine nib you would expect in a pen of this size.

The best part of the pen is the clean lines and minimal filigree and those long sections of, in this case, resin material. It really shows off the material well, but make sure you select a large enough blank. It will take every mm of a 5" blank.

For me, I like adding this kit to my line of (mostly upscale) pens, it has a great look and gives me a new price point (it is actually my least expensive pen) on a larger, man's style desk pen.

Sorry about the lack of hard data, I don't have one of them with me today to measure, but I will try to add that later.

Cheers,
Eric

Attachments

• DSC00641.jpg
    DSC00641.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 277
  • DSC00638.jpg
    DSC00638.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 222
  • DSC00642.jpg
    DSC00642.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 184
  • DSC00623.jpg
    DSC00623.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 214
  • DSC00628.jpg
    DSC00628.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 216
  • DSC00629.jpg
    DSC00629.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 214
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

Your work on these pens is excellent, and nice choice in materials.

The pen design looks so much better closed than open. That abrupt step down in size is not appealing on first look. While that look may grow on you after a while, we deal with first impressions when doing sales. For that reason, I have to wonder if the design will be a success. The available lower price point might balance that, and the market place will answer. I have one or two of the component sets sitting in the ready room, and look forward to trying them. Thanks for the nice pics...it looks like you got the profile just right for this pen.

brownsfn2

I like what you did there. They look great. I have one in my stock right now and plan someday to put watch parts on it. I think having the extra material will make it easier.

I do like the kit though.

Sandsini

I really need to get some cotton gloves for handling my pens when I am shooting them. The fingerprints on the blue pen are bugging me! And I didn't even post the smudgiest shots!

BJohn

Like the pen's in general, but I would have to go along with Steve that abrupt change is something that would have to grow on me also.

jsolie

Eric, your pens look great! The material and the finish are excellent. And I didn't even notice any finger prints.

SteveG, I agree about that step down for the section. I thought it might give a odd feel to the pen, but the pen surprised me.

Top Bottom