Two Memorial Cartridge Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jaeger

jaeger

These are two cartridge pens that I made recently.
The top pen is for a Retired Chief of Detectives after his military service.
I thought the Black and White Ebony was appropriate.

The bottom pen is for a man that was a machinist by trade after his service to his country.
I like the idea of Ironwood for his memorial pen. The grain of the wood on the back of this pen kind of looks like the outline of a fish. He loved to spend his free time in a boat with fishing rods and friends.

Oct10004.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Looks like your cartridges are from blanks by looking at the crimped ends.I usually remove the crimps when i make mine,it just makes it look cleaner when mating against the nib.Good Job i'm sure they will enjoy them.

PenPal

Thankyou Jaeger,

Firstly for sharing your pens together with the explanation, reasons for , materials used in their construction all of these parts are valid, some like the crimping I like in these instances, the use of the two timbers, what you see in the fish shape in one, the two tone in the other, why etc.

Remember always your recipients will value the pens because they represent you to them, they with your explanations and love and care should respond and fulfill the reasons you made them. I quote a simple statement without guile The Power Of a Pen. It can be of high value to the receiver or priceless. When giving pens personally I tend to take them out of my pocket (top pocket) show how to replace the biro or whatever to encourage use of that pen. If you want to create a museum piece dress it up how you will.

Kind regards Peter.

jaeger

Looks like your cartridges are from blanks by looking at the crimped ends.I usually remove the crimps when i make mine,it just makes it look cleaner when mating against the nib.Good Job i'm sure they will enjoy them.

Thanks Mark!
These are the actual cartridges that I collected at their memorial services. The Military Honor Guard always uses blanks, therefor the crimped ends. If I removed the crimps I felt it would have distorted the shape of the cartridge. I try to find a cartridge that does not have cracks in the crimp area. Sometimes I only get one choice in the few that I have made.
At the Detectives funeral, there were Police Honor Guard and Military Honor Guard all over the place. The Honor Guard member that had collected the cartridges "accidentally" drop one out of his pile in his hands when I inquired about the designation of the spent cartridges.

G1Pens

Generally I am not a fan of bullet pens. They tend to look a little hokey. I know they are popular and I need to make some. That being said, when I do make one, I think I will try to follow your lead. I find these very appealing to me. The wood complements the cartridge and looks like "it goes together". I particularly like the ebony.

Very Nice

Top Bottom