Two Maple Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott

Hi Everybody!

I figured it was about time I showed some pens. I turned these two today. They're based on Berea's Streamlined Slimline in chrome.

pens.jpg

Both are curly maple. I threw a little detail on the one and left it natural color. The other one I decided to try a different coloring technique - sky blue blending to purple towards the center. I think it provided a nice intense hue. Any guesses?

Scott.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

daledut

I hate guessing games. If it was not Spirit dye, then please tell us what.[:)]

Also, what tool do you use for small beads like that? I know what I would use, but just curious what your tool of choice would be.

tipusnr

I use a skew in combination with a thin parting tool to make small beads and ridges...in case this becomes an open question. Would be interested in what Scott used as well.

By the way...nice dye job!

Scott

Thanks for the comments!

I hate guessing games as well. I did the coloring with Sharpie markers, that come in a lot more different colors than most people know!

I did that little detail with a skew. I have a bedan I've been practicing with, but haven't gotten it to where I like it on fine details yet.

And Mark - the Toni is the same kit. Woodcraft buys them from Berea and calls it the Toni. Berea just calls it the Streamlined Slimline.

Scott.

tipusnr

OK....Stupid question time. How do you use a Sharpie to color wood? While the lathe is running?

Do you sand afterwards to get even coloring or is it artistic technique? Inquiring minds want to know. (OK..so maybe they don't...but I do!)

Scott

Hi Bill,

Yes, I turned the lathe kind of low, maybe 100 rpm or so, and kind of lined up the Sharpie paralell to the pen, and then just brought the tip into the pen blank and pulled it along the blank slowly. I kept going back over it to even out the thin spots or deepen the color. Then I stopped the lathe and took a bit of alcohol on a paper towel and blended the color all together. Then I applied the purple in the same way, and used the alcohol and paper towel to blend it into the blue so there was a nice transition.

I do this all after I have sanded out to 600. The color dries right away, and I start putting on my CA finish. I was afraid the CA might dissolve the color and smear it around some, but it didn't. And yes, this is just my basic CA/BLO finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom