Two latest commissions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Waluy

Waluy

First up is a Chrome slimline wrapped in Sapphire Blue AA from woodturningz. Mixed black Testor's paint in with the epoxy.
1_Pens_006.jpg

Next up a Chrome Stylus Slimline wrapped in Caribbean Cove AA from woodturningz. Mixed white Testor's paint in with the epoxy.
1_Pens_007.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Waluy

Thanks one thing I like about doing slims is that they start out with so much extra on the blank I can change up my tool skills to see if something works better. While doing these two something finally clicked in my head and I went from making lots of little chips to making nice long ribbons (realized I was setting my tool rest too high which was giving me the wrong angle of approach).

walshjp17

Both pens are beauties. My favorite the the pastel.

I like the idea of mixing a bit of paint with the epoxy. Did you back paint the drilled holes as well?

Waluy

Nope no back painting just mixing paint into the epoxy. In my (admittedly limited) experience I get the same results whether I back paint or just tint my epoxy. Although now looking at the pics I do see at least one place that I can't see in person that would have benefited from back painting.

JohnGreco

Upper barrel on the blue one at both ends and the stylus end look a bit brassy, but otherwise well done. I've had that happen on pens I reverse painted- once you get lights on it for pictures it really helps you see where to pay more attention next time.

Waluy

Upper barrel on the blue one at both ends and the stylus end look a bit brassy, but otherwise well done. I've had that happen on pens I reverse painted- once you get lights on it for pictures it really helps you see where to pay more attention next time.

Yep those are the spots that I noticed. I can't see them in person under any lighting situation and the two customers said they can't either which is weird because I didn't use any lighting for the pics just sat them on white paper on my desk at work.

Top Bottom