Two Cactus pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jim in Oakville

Two pens I made this weekend with two kits that are long gone

This is a Lotus fountain pen made with a Prickly Pear Cactus from Curtis Seebeck (www.turntex.com).

The interiour is painted and the finish is a buffed CA.

IMG_8857.jpg

IMG_8850.jpg

This is an Imperial, roller pen made with a Prickly Pear Cactus from Curtis. The tube is painted and the finish is a buffed CA.

IMG_8851.jpg

IMG_8853.jpg

These were hard pens to sell with most any body type, I dressed these last two in my favorite eye catching material, here's hoping they find homes really soon.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctubbs

Jim, wonderful pens, great colors and fine finish and fit. I'd rather have either one of them than a new puppy.:):biggrin:

Charles

aggromere

I think they are both very nice looking. Love the blanks and your fit and finish. I made a few Imperials, but it always seemed they were a little much with the double centerband. But both pens are beautiful.

I think they are both very nice looking. Love the blanks and your fit and finish. I made a few Imperials, but it always seemed they were a little much with the double centerband. But both pens are beautiful.

Thanks Peter.

I agree on the look of the double band on the Lotus. When you use one though the tactile feel on the finger with the band seems okay

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Hi Jim; I have a red cactus blank I received in a blank swap. I have no idea if it is the original cactus from Curtis or if it was casted by the member I received it from.

I want to use it on something special. Would you mind telling me what colours you painted the tubes on each. If I recall Curtis recommends reverse painting with blank. The black raises some doubts in my mind!:)

I only have one blank and I don't want to spoil it!

Tanner

Great looking pens! Now you've gone and motivated me to make a couple of Curtis' Cactus Pens for Christmas gifts. Excellent job again, Jim!

Hi Jim; I have a red cactus blank I received in a blank swap. I have no idea if it is the original cactus from Curtis or if it was casted by the member I received it from.

I want to use it on something special. Would you mind telling me what colours you painted the tubes on each. If I recall Curtis recommends reverse painting with blank. The black raises some doubts in my mind!:)

I only have one blank and I don't want to spoil it!

Hey Mack....It's an old secret...LOL

Nah....I spray paint the tube the same colour as the cactus blank, then apply a few thin coats of sparkly red nail polish.... I wet sand the turned blank, to about 800, then CA finish the surface to seal the edges of the cactus and also build up a shin, I buff the CA and that is it.

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Mack C. in Brooklin (Whitby) ON; [quote said:

Nah....I spray paint the tube the same colour as the cactus blank, then apply a few thin coats of sparkly red nail polish.... I wet sand the turned blank, to about 800, then CA finish the surface to seal the edges of the cactus and also build up a shin, I buff the CA and that is it.
That's the way I considered doing it, just needed confirmation from the master that I was on the right track. Thank you, Sir!:biggrin:

Mack C. in Brooklin (Whitby) ON; [quote said:

That's the way I considered doing it, just needed confirmation from the master that I was on the right track. Thank you, Sir!:biggrin:

Master???? No way buddy, You are. A side note, silver powder sprinkles from Michaels, I add them to my epoxy and then spread it on the coloured tubes, it really kicks up the look

Top Bottom