two Americanas

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from NotURMailman

NotURMailman

I usually don't put my pens on here because they pale to the ones I see posted, and because I haven't gotten decent photo equipment yet. But, I wanted to share these.

One is an Artisan Americana made of Red Cyprus Burl. I made the upper section on this one a little longer than normal.

The other is an Apprentice Americana made from Padauk. On this one I moved the trim ring from the bottom of the lower section to top of the lower section, giving it a double center band.

I was really impressed with the Red Cyprus, both blanks were added to my order from McBryde at no cost.

I'm sure neither pen will inspire a lot of comment, but they are welcome!

Attachments

• IMG_20121130_094553_780.jpg
    IMG_20121130_094553_780.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 382
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

maxman400

Your Photo is out of focus, but from what I can see you did a good job on the pens. As far as being pale compared to the others, don't let that stop you. You will get some great feed back from the other members here that can really help. and as far as photo equipment I shoot most of mine with a $10 camera and a DIY photo tent.

keithbyrd

Nice job on the mods - I am curious - how did you do it? On all th Americana's I have made they have different nib ends and the double band is part of the pressed ring for the lower end? -

NotURMailman

The ring for the lower end was not actually part of the nib on these. It was supposed to be slid over the nib section before pressing the nib into the tube. I just left it off and sanded the section that presses into the tube down a little to avoid cracking the tube.

Then when I pressed the threaded coupler into the upper end of the lower barrel I slid the ring over that. This leaves you very little amount of coupler pressing into the tube, so I usd a small drop of CA. You just have to know you are doing it, because the diameter of your finished barrel will change on the lower end.

I will try to get a less fuzzy pic...

NotURMailman

I think you have done an injustice to the pen when you moved the trim ring from the nib.

Yeah, I'm still not sure what I think. I really like the double center band, but I'm not sure how I feel about the nib with no band. Would be even better if I could get some extra bands and do both.

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam

keithbyrd

I think you have done an injustice to the pen when you moved the trim ring from the nib.

Yeah, I'm still not sure what I think. I really like the double center band, but I'm not sure how I feel about the nib with no band. Would be even better if I could get some extra bands and do both.

Call CSUSA see if they can get the extra parts!

NotURMailman

I e-mailed them to see if those bands are available separately. What do you guys think of adding another of the wider bands to the top under the clip? (just a matter of turning another tennon on the upper barrel)

I also thought about replacing the plastic "button" with one made from the wooden pen blank. Gotta figure out how I would turn that...

Jim Burr

Banned
Glad you cleaned up the photos. I'm in the same camp as my friend Les...the nib end needs something to break up the transition.
You will continue to post pen pics:wink:!!! I can't make anything like Doc:redface:, but I post mine anyway...just do it!:biggrin:

NotURMailman

Not bad customer service from CSUSA. I already got back a reply from customer service about the parts. I called her right back and ordered 5 more components sets, 5 bands, and 5 trim rings. We'll see how hey turn out. I'll have something not really a kit to post soon...

plantman

:bananen_smilies035: About your photos !! You need a light sorce from the top, left, and right sides. This will get rid of the shadows and brighten the shot. Watch carefully what you have for your backround, and that your pen is centered and level. If you don't have a tripod, look at rummage sales, flee markets, or Good Will for one for a few bucks. This will keep your camera steady and avoid blurs. Download a good photo shop from the internet, it's free. With this you can work wonders with your photos. Look in the library for articles on taking photos, and how to make a lite tent. The pens look good, but could look much better with better photos. If you have questions, just ask. Someone will have an answer or two. Jim S

Last edited:

McBryde

Hey Les,

Those look good to me, I like the center band down closer to the nib personally, but I do think it would look cool with a double band as well.

This is why I like turning so much, you can have so much variation with each pen, and do it completely different next time you do one. You just have to figure out what works best for yourself, and what you like. Keep up the good work, I look forward to seeing more stuff turned from you. Like others have said, post lots of pictures and get lots of feedback. Some is good, some won't be, you just have to take it all in stride. Everyone's tastes in pens are different, or we'd all be using Bic's! Keep up the good work, I look forward to seeing more in the future!

Emerson

ugrad

Why don't you try photoshop or similar to see what something may look like. It's a very good way to see the possibilities before you commit.

regards
Peter

NotURMailman

Well, I made a double band. I really like it, but I will make a few changes next time. I put a band at the top and bottom of both barrels. Next time I will lengthen the upper tube a bit more. I will also open up the clip so that it can go below the upper tube. I won't bore you with more blurry pictures because my wife has the camera at work and I can't get a good shot with my phone.

Top Bottom