Twisted segment

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from alamocdc

alamocdc

Just playing around w/some Corian and decided to experiment w/some segmentation. I started w/5 pieces (three 1/4"x3/8"x?" and two 3/8"x3/8"x?") and glued them up to form a 3/4" sq blank between 4 & 5" long. I cut that into 3/16" slices and this is the result. I was going for a larger blue field w/equal red & white pieces, but wasn't thinking clearly. The blue should have been 1/2"x 3/8" instead of 3/8" sq and paired w/another 1/4"x3/8" white piece, but that's what fuzzy logic does for you.[:I]

200812822154_sierraCH_redwhiteblue_corian.jpg

As always, feel free to speak your mind.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alamocdc

Thanks for the kind words, all.

Originally posted by darrylm

your segmentation does look nice. how did you like working with non-wood segments?

I've done segmentation with synthetics, but this was my first go at Corian. I was a lttle apprehensive at the TS at first, but it handled the material quite well. This was the second time I've worked with Corian, and it hard stuff. Dulls the lathe tools quickly, but it polishes out very well. All in all, nice stuff to work with.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by alamocdc

Thanks for the kind words, all.

Originally posted by darrylm

your segmentation does look nice. how did you like working with non-wood segments?

I've done segmentation with synthetics, but this was my first go at Corian. I was a lttle apprehensive at the TS at first, but it handled the material quite well. This was the second time I've worked with Corian, and it hard stuff. Dulls the lathe tools quickly, but it polishes out very well. All in all, nice stuff to work with.

Glad you like it. ;) Lookin' good.

2008129141350_thumbs%20up.jpg

alamocdc

Yes, Bob, it was all 1/2" stock at the beginning. I wasn't sure how my TS would react to it, but it worked just fine. To save material, I changed to a 7 1/4" Freud blade (the Avanti) that's just over 1/16" thick. The blade worked great, but my sled uses a 3/4" base and I'll need to build a new one using 3/8" material (or maybe 1/4" if I can find something stiff enough). As it is, the blade runs just high enough (through the sled) to cut through a 1" blank.

Top Bottom