Twisted colors

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from CaptG

CaptG

I did a couple pens with the rope twist. With the lucite blanks, I have always powder coated the tubes black and painted the inside of the tubes black also. I have always been happy with the end results. This time I thought why not try and brighten thing up a bit. The Majestic Squire is Italian lucite from Exotic Blanks in the root beer float color with the tube powder coated yellow, inside of blank painted yellow, and some of the yellow powder coat powder mixed with epoxy when I glued the tubes in. The amber color of the lucite darkened the yellow a lot, but I still like it. The Jr. Gent. has a piece of Italian lucite that I have had on the back of a shelf for several years. It is a very dark smoke color, almost black with the white swirls. I powder coated the tubes candy apple red, painted the inside of the blank cherry red, and mixed some of the powder coat powder with the epoxy when I glued the tubes in. I really like this one. I know several of you are going to ask how I got the twist design. I filed grooves the length of the blank, heated in the toaster oven until the blank got soft, then carefully twisted the blanks until I got the desired look. :) OK, not really, I used the legacy Revo.

Forgive my lack of photo skills, I just have a point and shoot and it shows.
All comments welcome and appreciated. Thank you for looking.

Attachments

• twist pens 001.jpg
    twist pens 001.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 376
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

greggas

Gary...you had me going for a while about the toaster.

Nice work...I especially like how the color of the red lucite ended up

ctubbs

I believe the toaster thing. I am pretty sure he did do it that way and is just trying to throw the rest of us off.
Gary, you have two very beautiful pens there. They will make someone very happy to spend some money with you. Congratulations.
Charles

wiset1

Really great work! I recently purchased some of the same lucite (Rootbeer) and this helps with the understanding of how I need to set up for prep. Again, awesome looking pens!

CaptG

I want to add that with this lucite I drilled the first hole just undersized and then used another drill that measured with my calipers about .020 larger than the tube to finish the hole. The purpose of the two steps is the second drill having so little material to remove leaves a smoother hole. Just go easy and not slam the drill through in a hurry or you will still get heavy lines. Also by going a little larger leaves more room for the epoxy and is less likely to pull the paint. I also use a dremal with a polishing cylinder and polishing compound to polish the inside of the hole. This type of lucite is so transparent in places that any line will show and not look good in my opinion.

PenPal

Gary,

Brilliant loved your playing with the truth, I have a friend who uses files to produce perfect looking twists so I was quite prepared to accept the explanation either way.

Mike check your monitor from 6,000 miles away sharp as a tack.

Cris when you have time think of a way to do something for Gary I do cause he is a No 1 guy. I remember one of my kids came to me and said where do I come from then I launched into a description of how SMBO was carrying another babe etc got about half way into it and suddenly the penny dropped why darling I said why do you ask, she said oh at school today Jane said she came from South Australia. I rest my case prompted by spending many hours describing a unique method of hexing my pens.

The pens have impressed me into the top class of the twists I have seen, full sized and right up there with impact and as neat turning you could wish. Real class mate. Thanks for the detail you provided for us suggest viewers go to the Revo site for a demo video on the operation and also U Tube, I know what it means to spend hours giving details on what you do with the Camera, sometimes like throwing wheat on the ground in a parrot cage.

My privilige is to view.

Kind regards. Peter.

Top Bottom