Twist on a slimline.....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from micah

Status
Not open for further replies.

micah

Did a little something with this one. First off, sorry for the crappy pic.
The only downfall to this is that if you want to change the refill, I have to do it or at least they have to have the ability to "work out of the box".
As for now it will be a pen that I carry, unless friends or family want one and they know to bring it to me when necessary.
It is a Black Titanium kit with Blackwood/sapwood.

So, what do you think???

dsc02432zg2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rmartin

Very nice. I really like the lower barrel. Could you give me some more info on how you changed the refill? I'm doing a pen which needs the twist lower than normal. I was thinking of using a teacher's pen type refill and twist, but if you have a better way, I'd love to know more.

Thanks,
Rmartin

ahoiberg

that's nice, i like slim modifications like that. you know, you can turn those like normal and just leave the bottom tube extending past the smaller blank and allow enough extra wood on the top barrel to make it a regular length. thereby making the refill change like you would normally. kinda like a sierra. but i'm also curious to know what method you used.

ps - i don't think the picture is that bad.

micah

Thanks everyone for you comments!
Richard, I'll take a pic of how I did it tomorrow, but to be honest....Andrews way would be MUCH easier and be a lot less of chance for something to potentially go wrong. The next one I'll do will be that way.
Thanks Andrew for the advice. I sat on my bench and tried to work out how to do it for about 30min., and finally came up with my way. Like I said, your way would be much more practical. That is why I love this place. I learn so much from everyone here!
Thanks again everybody!
Micah
angboy, I learned from a tutorial from Ed Davidson (I think). It's been a while, but I could probably do a search for you tomorrow if you have a hard time finding it. It was all done with a 1/2" skew. These are pretty sharp, but you can make them more rounded by sanding more if you desire.

Rmartin

Thanks, I look forward to seeing any pics.

As far as extending the tube, it sounds interesting, but I would assume part of the upper barrel would have no brass tube. In the long run, I think this would cause problems. Anyway, with what I'm thinking of doing this is not an option.

ahoiberg

i'll be interested to see the photos as well... and micah, i in turn, learned that method from someone else on here... can't remember exactly who at this point, but rick is correct that a decent chuck of the upper barrel has no brass tubing in it. haven't seen any issues so far with the couple that i've done...

micah

Guys, here is what I did. Like I said, it definantly has draw backs. It does seem to work just fine, but changing the refills could be a problem if your not prepared for a little work.
What I did was to take the black end cap off the refill then I took a small bit and ream out the existing hole so that the refill could slip all the way through. Just be sure not to go too big where it is too loose. I actually have to use a little force to get it to move up and down. After you get it set where you want it, you could also put a dab of CA on it so that it doesn't move, but haven't had to with this one.
Not really something that you would want to make and sell, but it works ok for me.

dsc02436dl9.jpg

fiferb

Not really something that you would want to make and sell, but it works ok for me.

Or, when you sell these, tell them you are the only one that sells the refills. You'll have a customer coming back to you for the life of the pen and may want to see "what's new" in your inventory.[;)]

GBusardo

Originally posted by Micah
<br />

I am not so sure it would not sell. Actually, when I first seent he picture, I thought the beads were a rubber thingy and you got the idea from a PSI longwood kit. The beading makes the pen that much more impressive. I think you did a darn good job.

micah

Originally posted by GBusardo
<br />
Originally posted by Micah
<br />

I am not so sure it would not sell. Actually, when I first seent he picture, I thought the beads were a rubber thingy and you got the idea from a PSI longwood kit. The beading makes the pen that much more impressive. I think you did a darn good job.

Naw, I've done a couple of the "comfort" pens with the rubber and their all right, but much prefer the feel and originality of the wood. The only thing that I wish would have been different about it is I wish that the sapwood would have gone all the way down through the beads. That's allright though, I still like it and will use it.
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom