Twins, but not identical

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ed McDonnell

Ed McDonnell

I continue to explore the world of metal pens. I was curious to examine the difference between making a pen from aluminum and from copper. Here's the same design executed in (you guessed it) aluminum and copper.

attachment.php

attachment.php

The copper version weighs in at 65 grams and the aluminum version weighs in at 37 grams. The weight of the aluminum version is comparable to what the same design would weigh if executed in resin.

The aluminum is well balanced for writing both with the cap posted and not. The copper version feels great writing with the cap not posted. It's quite a heavy pen when writing with the cap posted. I haven't decided how I feel about that. I do take some comfort in the fact that if I were attacked by a ninja while writing with the copper version posted, I would have a substantial weapon in my hands ready to defend myself. Given that ninja attacks are relatively rare in South Florida, I'll probably not have the chance to test this out.

While the pictures show the superficial differences between the pens, you really have to hold and write with these pens to fully appreciate how wildly different they are.

Ed

Attachments

• VR07 AL Fountain.jpg
    VR07 AL Fountain.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 617
  • VR07 CU Roller.jpg
    VR07 CU Roller.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 604
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
The Copper wins !!!

I would not mind owning one of those.

What kind of bit are you using to achieve those details...if you don't mind me asking.

Bill

BSea

That copper pen is my choice for front page pen of the year.

Edit: is a well known fact that ninja attacks are common in central Arkansas. So send it up here for testing. I'll send it back when I'm done. Probably won't take more than 15 years. 20 at the most.

Last edited:

Janster

Beautiful work! I like the "Copper" pen twixt the two. Do you plan on coating the copper to prevent oxidation? Also, is this work done on a CNC mill? Very nice! Be well......Jan

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Incredible artwork!

I also will vote for the Copper.. It's different. We see aluminum, and I do like aluminum (and I really like the gold/aluminum contrast in the first pen - VERY NICE).

But the copper just seems a bit different and a very nice new look. Just my opinion.

Please keep your experimentations. More inspiration.

OZturner

Incredable Pens, Ed
I would choose the Aluminium for a carry Pen,
But the Copper would Grace my Desk.
Your Artistic, and Machining Craftsmanship, are Superb.
Very Stimulating.
Congratulations,
Brian.

MikeL

Hard to pick between the two but they both look great. I think I lean towards the two tone. Might look cool with a two tone nib. Both are outstanding.

Ed McDonnell

Thank you for all the comments and compliments.

Bob - I had no idea that ninjas were such a problem in central Arkansas. I feel a little guilty not sending you something to use to defend yourself while you are writing, but not guilty enough to leave myself unprotected in the event something happens here. :biggrin:

All - My wife and I decided to take a little international trip today so we drove down across the border to Miami Zoo today (the real zoo with wild animals, not South Beach :eek:). There is no protective coating on the copper pen. I put it in my shirt pocket and we walked around the zoo all day. The pen was not noticeably heavy in my shirt pocket so it works fine as a carry pen. When I examined the pen when I got home it looked like it was tarnishing just a bit (some darkening in spots). A quick wipe with a soft cloth and it was all bright and shiny again.

I worked out in my garden this evening and was all sweaty when I came in the house. I wiped the copper pen down with my sweaty shirt. I'll see what that looks like in the morning. If that doesn't tarnish it, nothing will.

My next copper pen I intend to patina with some liver of sulphur and then polish the high points. That will give bright copper highlights on a dark brown / black background. It looks good in my head. We'll see about real life.

I'm also going to order some industrial metal coatings and experiment with using them to coat some copper pens. Whether the bright copper covers the entire pen or just highlights, it would be nice to be able to have them preserved for an extended period.

That's it for now. Time to head back down to the shop. It's "fun with brass" night tonight.

Ed

The Copper wins !!!

I would not mind owning one of those.

What kind of bit are you using to achieve those details...if you don't mind me asking.

Bill

Hi Bill - I used a 1/32" 2 flute ball nose carbide end mill.

Ed

Thanks for the info and the picture of the bit, Ed

Don't know if I will ever get around to trying something like that, but it sure would be fun!

Bill

Ed McDonnell

It's been four days of heavy sweaty use of the two pens (I even took them bike riding).

The copper pen is looking pretty ugly (IMO). Lots of tarnish on the copper, and its not even. I tossed it in the acetone vat to dissolve the epoxy so I can take it apart. I'm going to then polish it up and coat it with permalac. That should preserve that new penny shine for a lot of years.

The next copper pen I do I am going to use liver of sulphur to create a nice dark solid patina. I'll then buff back the patina on the high spots and seal it all up with permalac.

The aluminum looks as good as new and I plan to let that one run as bare metal. I'm interested to see how long I'll be happy with how it looks. The one I did back in early april still looks shiny new, but I haven't been carrying that one much lately.

Ed

Top Bottom