Twindows in Brass and Aluminum

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ldb2000

ldb2000

Two years ago today I posted my introduction post (even though I had been lurking and learning for a couple of months) . In that two years I have learned a couple of lifetimes worth of knowledge from the wonderful people here at the IAP . Thanks to the people here who freely share their knowledge I have been able to achieve several goals , the biggest one being accepted to the PMG . I would like to thank everyone who has helped me personally but the list would be several pages long so I'll just say "Thank you IAP" You people are the best !!!!!!!

This is my Anniversary Pen .

This is a pen I call Twindows (Twist Windows).
It is made from Brass and aluminum and a cigar transmission with a parker type refill . Twindows are my favorite pens to build , they are a challenge and unique in design . Since it is mostly aluminum it's not too heavy and has a nice balance .
It is unique in that you operate the pen by twisting the inner barrel (the inner Brass part) to extend or retract the refill . It works very smoothly and has a nice feel to it . The refill is replaced by unscrewing the nib .

1_anivtwindows3.jpg
1_anivtwindows.jpg
1_anivtwindows2.jpg

As always , comments are welcome

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

maxman400

That is an awesome PEN, I have only been here a few months and I have learned so much from every one at IAP also. And some of it has been from you as well, So thanks back to you for sharing your knowledge also.

mickr

I went to photos first and when this popped up I KNEW who the artist was before any info came up..your work so unique & technically excellent that your pens are instantly recognizable...splendid pen..beautifuuly designed

cnirenberg

Happy anniversary Butch! It was your "kitless chllenge" that got me thinking and turning differently. Thanks. Great pen by the way.

Rollerbob

Butch, you are indeed a "kitless fanatic" which has inspired a lot of us to reach higher. Your pens have a very unique look to them that if anyone sees them they know who the maker is. Congrats on your 2 year anniversary, I hope I get to share many more with you.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Great looking pen Butch! I love the windows design and the clip also. It is my hope to makes my own clips like that some day - when I get some time and catch up on all of the backlog of promised pens!

ldb2000

Thanks for the kind words everyone . First let me say that the photos could have come out better but it was almost 4am and I just wanted to get them up so there are fingerprints and dust that should have been cleaned off . The high polish all metal pens look great but they are magnets for fingerprints , I have tried a satin finish but I just don't like the look , it don't look ....err ... finished . Every time I make one I say "That's the last all metal pen I'm gonna make" but then the next design pops into my head and away I go .
The Twindows design is a great one but it only works with certain types of materials . The wall thickness on the inner barrel is only about .025" and the outer barrel is just a little thicker . I have tried Burls but the wood in the center web is too breakable and it usually cracks at the thinest point . Metals are great to work with but not finish . Clear straight grain works best for woods and that's what I use for most of these I make .

Skippy , I made the nib longer on this one , what do you think? .

Cris , thanks . The challenge was a blast and I learned allot doing it , maybe I will run another sometime .

Jeff , thanks and yes I even learned some things from you , like to throw my scroll saw in a locked closet and never even try it , you ARE the Master Scroller .

Bob and mickr , thanks for the comments about being unique , that is a wonderful thing to hear . I have tried to make my kitless pens as different as I can and it's nice to know that it has paid off .

Again for everyone else , Thank you for the knowledge that I have gained from all of you ...

You all Rock !!!:RockOn::RockOn::RockOn:

Top Bottom