Tuxedo Pen- It's different

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from shawnmhill

shawnmhill

I saw a tuxedo pen on here several weeks ago and loved it. So since I couldn't get any Bakelite, I figured this would work. Didn't know if I was going to like it but I actually do. The blanks are Invisavue (spelling), meaning I did not paint the tubes. Turned down with skew, wet sanded to 600, wet MM up to 12000, plastic polish and Ren Wax.

Hope everyone is doing well. Shawn

Attachments

• DSC_0450web.jpg
    DSC_0450web.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 451
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ToddMR

Shawn I think that pen looks really nice! I think it has a classy look to it as well. Nice job on this pen. Is that a Sedona kit?

shawnmhill

Yes its a Sedona. I got bored and figured I would just run to Woodcraft and this is what i came up with. I normally order my kits but like I said, "I was bored"!!!

JD Combs Sr

I saw a tuxedo pen on here several weeks ago and loved it. So since I couldn't get any Bakelite, I figured this would work. Didn't know if I was going to like it but I actually do. The blanks are Invisavue (spelling), meaning I did not paint the tubes. Turned down with skew, wet sanded to 600, wet MM up to 12000, plastic polish and Ren Wax.

Hope everyone is doing well. Shawn

Nice looking pen Shawn. I am relatively new to pen making, can you define Tuxedo Pen for me. What are the characteristics of a tuxedo pen?

wizard

Shawn,
I love it!! The "duo" theme is very attractive with a different material or color on the top versus the bottom sections of the pen. It is a mark of distinction that characterize high end pens in the commercial market. Tuxedo is a very appropriate name for that combo. Very classy! Great job!!! Doc

witz1976

Nice pen...what did you think of the invisavue (if it is the same stuff I just turned) Looks like there are white chunks in it. I hated it, it seems to have a lower melting point than most resins. It melted when I cut it, melted when I drilled it, it was just a pain!

shawnmhill

Hello everyone. I've had several PM questions over the "invisaview", spelling? All asked how it was to work with. The selling point of the material is "you don't have to paint your tubes". Well to be honest, I would rather paint my tubes. This stuff was a pain. It has a very low melting point. Even with a skew and very light cuts, while producing a nice ribbon, it would wrap and into something that resembled a tire. I would have to shut down and literally cut it off with scissors. It was a pain. Just wanted to let everyone know. Hope it helps. Shawn

LarryDNJR

Hello everyone. I've had several PM questions over the "invisaview", spelling? All asked how it was to work with. The selling point of the material is "you don't have to paint your tubes". Well to be honest, I would rather paint my tubes. This stuff was a pain. It has a very low melting point. Even with a skew and very light cuts, while producing a nice ribbon, it would wrap and into something that resembled a tire. I would have to shut down and literally cut it off with scissors. It was a pain. Just wanted to let everyone know. Hope it helps. Shawn

I did a Blue Invisavue from Woodcraft few months back. Didn't turn to bad. Worked better than the normal Acrylics IMO.

Top Bottom