Turkish Walnut, Afzelia, Amboyna Burl Stabilized with Cactus Juice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from 1dweeb

1dweeb

After getting my Cactus Juice Stabilizing system from Curtis, I decided to put it to the test. I used a harbor freight 3 CFM vacuum pump and I bought a toaster oven from Walmart to bake these in. I didn't spring for the relief valve from Curtis as I thought I had one that would work, turns out mine wouldn't work so I had to go to Home Depot for those parts. If I had to order all over again I would just purchase the valve with the system (it would have been cheaper). I stabilized approximately 30 blanks with some being half blanks. The system worked as advertised and due to the large amount of foaming at the beginning of the cycle, I can't imagine not having the relief valve. I used a variety of blanks to stabilize and some seemed to work better than others. I did buy me a black light so that I could check for penetration of the solution. I have not been disappointed so far with the results. The Turkish Walnut blanks that I stabilized were very impressive in the way they took the solution and the way that they finished up on the lathe after baking. The Afzelia blanks seemed to take the solution well but the wood has wider cell structure and thus had a few surface voids after turning that had to be sealed with CA. The Amboyna Burl seemed to take the solution and turned okay but I still had to fill an inclusion in the blank with CA. All blanks polished up well after turning. If you have ever turned the stabilized blanks from AS then you will know what to expect with these. I am not sure that these are as good as the ones from AS but they seem to be on par with them so far with the ones that I have turned. One thing I did notice was that the Cocobolo and HRB blanks do not like this resin. They come out of the oven a sticky mess. I have often heard that these don't stabilize well and now I can tell you what that means.

Attachments

• Turkish Walnut.jpg
    Turkish Walnut.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 626
  • Afzelia.jpg
    Afzelia.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 501
  • Amboyna Burl.jpg
    Amboyna Burl.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 649
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Looking good!

One thing to keep in mind...MesquiteMan's Cactus Juice (or any other thermoset stabilizing resin) is not intended to fill voids and does not work on oily woods. I would assume that with the oily woods, when the blank is heated, it causes the oil to flow and mix with the resin, thus changing it's chemical composition and messing up the polymerization.

Wayne, I appreciate your works. These are all beautiful!

At the same time, i feel honored to see my Turkish walnut wood on your stunning unique pen.

Kind regards
Onur

wiset1

Awesome write-up for the system! This will help others down the road and to see your finished product truly adds interest. Really great work and thanks again for the write-up!

1dweeb

Looking good!

One thing to keep in mind...MesquiteMan's Cactus Juice (or any other thermoset stabilizing resin) is not intended to fill voids and does not work on oily woods. I would assume that with the oily woods, when the blank is heated, it causes the oil to flow and mix with the resin, thus changing it's chemical composition and messing up the polymerization.

Curtis you are right about the resin not being designed for filling voids and not working with the oily woods. I was mainly concerned with letting others learn from my experience so they might not ruin a really nice blank on a trial run. I am very happy with the results I got and wish to thank you for making the system and resin available to us on a scale that we can live with. The Turkish Walnut pen has become my own daily writer. Everyone who comes in contact with it wants it bad, but I still have it.

Top Bottom