Tubeless ballpoint

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Pierre---

Pierre---

Hi all!

Somebody asked me to make a ballpoint pen in snakewood. I have not always been lucky with this wood, you know it loves to crack. I think he main reason is the tube and the metallic parts that expand with the heat of the hand. So I just made one without any snug-fit metal parts: no tube, no tranny, no finial, no CB. I only used the refill in fact, hard to do without... :wink:

I already made snakewood fountain pens this way, I had no crack after intesive use, so I have good confidence. :biggrin:

I made a prototype in boxwood with the Parker refill that could be put in and taken out from the upper part of the barrel. Some details were not to my taste,
rant.gif
so I made a second one that was better:
proto_13.jpg

So I could go. Gosh, I love this timber: :rolleyes:
100_4414.jpg

100_4415.jpg

100_4413.jpg

C&c's welcome!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Pierre---

Thanks Curly!

Did you cut the threads with tap and die or single point them in a metal lathe?
None, I used a router, and the piece is driven by a threaded rod: I find this is the only way to cut decent wooden threads. Besides threading can be double or triple start. You may have a look here.

Last edited:

Curly

I've seen thread cutting done that way for lathe turned boxes for years but never thought of applying it to a pen. Sometimes it just takes another person to nudge us in a new direction to adapt something for our application. My father had the ability to see new ways to do things. He used to cut wood threads with a table saw and a special blade I had made for him. Used it for clamps and bench screws. He even cut a 4" diameter one once just to see if he could.

Attachments

• Table saw threading 022.jpg
    Table saw threading 022.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 179
  • Table saw threading 023.jpg
    Table saw threading 023.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 162
  • Table saw threading 028.jpg
    Table saw threading 028.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 166
  • Table saw threading 029.jpg
    Table saw threading 029.jpg