Tubafore Pen (PITH for bensoelberg)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from azamiryou

azamiryou

For my PITH pen, I latched onto the "2x4" and "common, construction grade building material" aspects of the rules.

First of all, 2x4's are not round, so I needed to make a square pen. It turns out there's a reason pens aren't usually square: they are not very comfortable to write with. But I'm an artist, not a craftsman, so I don't think form has to follow function.:tongue:

Secondly, I've never seen construction grade gold or titanium plating, so I needed galvanized steel pen parts. After checking with suppliers (not really) I discovered there are no commercially available galvanized steel pen kits, so I had to make my own. I started with a piece of plate made for nailing together a splice, I guess. It already had holes in it, which I used as decoration on the clip. The stamped writing on the nib section also adds interest.

Thirdly, how often do builders put a deep, luxurious finish on a two by four? I've never seen it. I wanted to protect the soft pine, so I applied a CA finish, but when sanding I stopped before the high-gloss shine started to come out. The result should be durable, but still looks a lot like unfinished 2x4.

My first PITH was an awesome experience, I had a lot of fun. I also found it liberating to be working on a pen a) for another penmaker and b) that I knew I wouldn't be paid for. It really gets creative juices flowing when you don't have to worry whether the results are actually commensurate with the time put in. I think it's a neat pen, but there's no way it would sell for what I'd have to charge if I were going to sell it!

Attachments

• PITH.jpg
    PITH.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 576
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kludge77

Very cool looking!

From a technical aspect... How did you attach the modded nib? Is it just a facade glued over a kit nib or is.... My puzzler is having trouble working it out!

bensoelberg

I received this pen in yesterday's mail. When my wife brought the box up from the mailbox, I had my hands full of baby. My wife offered to open it for me once she was done giving our 2 year old his bath. I figured out how to open the box with one hand instead of waiting. I was not disappointed when I saw the pen. The photo that Matthew posted looks great, but doesn't show how much work he must have put into this pen. The upper barrel around the steel centerband is amazing. It looks like he cut a tenon (also square) and then wrapped the centerband around it. I'm not sure how he attached the bin, but it is definitely not wrapped around a kit job. The only kit parts in this are tubes and transmission. I'm extremely pleased with how this PITH turned out for me. Thanks again, Matthew!

Last edited:

azamiryou

Very cool looking!

From a technical aspect... How did you attach the modded nib? Is it just a facade glued over a kit nib or is.... My puzzler is having trouble working it out!

Ah, the how-to. I was going to talk about this, but my original post was getting a little long even without it. For the answer to just this question, look for the bold text below.:)

I made the metal parts first. I don't have a setup for welding or soldering steel, so the pieces are simply cut, filed, and folded. On the side you can't see, there are big seams. Making the metal first allowed me to fit the wood to the metal, which is much easier than the other way.

The lower barrel was drilled through with a small bit, just big enough to let the refill (Cross type) pass through smoothly. (The centerband end of the lower barrel has a 7mm hole just deep enough to hold a short piece of brass tube for the transmission.) So there's a lot more wood there than on a regular slimline.

The upper barrel is also a closed end (my first!), drilled just deep enough to hold the transmission and refill in the retracted position.

After I had cut and sized the square barrels, I figured out where I wanted the nib section to end, scored the wood there, and carved out the pyramid shape with chisels and files. A lot of test fitting, filing, and shaping eventually resulted in a pretty good fit. So the short answer to your question is that the wood underneath was carved to fit the nib, and the nib is glued to it. I did the same thing for the center band on the upper barrel.

The clip is "nailed" in. I cut the clip so that one of the holes in the steel sheet would line up on the center of the end of the pen. I cut off the top part of a nail, drilled a hole in the end of the pen to fit the nail, and glued the clip and nail in place with epoxy. I clamped it to make sure everything was good and tight as the epoxy cured.

Thanks for your question!

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
That is above and beyond awesome and dead spot on as to what my theme suggestion was all about. It was about taking a common material and making an outstanding work of art with it. I cannot describe with word how I feel about that result you obtained.

Landon

Top Bottom