TTSII aluminum and ebnony

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ctEaglesc

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
After showing my powder coating buddy ARBEZ his remark was "That's the SH*T!" I took it as a compliment.
HE called me up the other day and told me he had some PC powders for me.
Since he works with metal and I have been playing with this idea in my head for a while I Decided to bring him TTSII.
Ebony and aluminum in a platinum cigar.
I need to tweek the pattern a bit but he was extremely happy with it.
I used a flash so the shine doesn't show up well.

200698164638_TTSII%20002.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

btboone

Nicely done. Is there a coating over the whole surface, or did you do something different when finishing the two elements?

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Rob
<br />Very nice. Please excuse my ignorance, but what is "TTSSI". If not a trade secret can you explain a bit as to how this was done? Thanks.

Rob

After showing my powder coating buddy ARBEZ his remark was "That's the SH*T!" I took it as a compliment.
[:D]

Rob

Thanks, heck I noticed I had the letters wrong anyway. I agree it is the "s%^t". Still would like to know a bit as to how it was done. I've examined your various pens with a certain degree of wonder AND envy. I'm very much intrigued by these truly one of a kind items you handcraft. Thanks. Rob

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Rob
<br />Thanks, heck I noticed I had the letters wrong anyway. I agree it is the "s%^t". Still would like to know a bit as to how it was done. I've examined your various pens with a certain degree of wonder AND envy. I'm very much intrigued by these truly one of a kind items you handcraft. Thanks. Rob
The idea isn't mine, I got it from a member RPM who posted the "spirals" over a year ago.
There is a tutorial on the homepage about glue ups and though I haven't read it, I would imagine there is something about a "celtic Knot" (It really isnsn't a Celtic knowe but reminds you of one.)
Esentially the concept is you cut a kerf in a blank at any angle you wish.Fill the kerf with a piece of material the same thickness as the amount of material you cut out.
Repeat the procedure for the rest of the blank.
Care should be taken to no alter the dimensions of the blank once you start and use a jig to make repetative cuts at the same depth.

btboone

You did a great job of not dragging metal bits into the wood. I imagine that it was tough to keep the wood clean when sanding. Sanded aluminum tends to turn everything gray.

Rob

Thank you Sir, for pointing me in the proper research direction. Seeing your pen planted a seed for me and I'll have to see if I'm clever (or smart) enough to make it work. Regards, Rob

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by btboone
<br />You did a great job of not dragging metal bits into the wood. I imagine that it was tough to keep the wood clean when sanding. Sanded aluminum tends to turn everything gray.

Nicely done. Is there a coating over the whole surface, or did you do something different when finishing the two elements?

The first thing I did(after praying) was to coat everything with CA.
The "test" on this piece was gluing in the aluminum and being able to turn it.It is the "precursor" of another idea I am thinking of.
I am not sure what kind of ebony this is, it actually looks more like ABW but has the "chalky dust" of ebony.I paid a buck a blank for it last year at the Klingspors woodworking show.I am not fond of ebony but a buck a blank I thought it was worth a try.
I broke one of my rules and used DNA between grits but only because there already was a lot of CA on the blank.
I explained to the recipient of the pen I expecte4d the aluminum to oxidize and since he works with metal I was hoping he would come up with a good way to keep it shiny.
I intend to lacquer any future desings like this I use aluminum on, this was for "funzies"[:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom