Trying something outside the box, for me.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from thetalbott4

Status
Not open for further replies.

thetalbott4

I wanted to get out of my proverbial style box and explore a little. As a fan of Ed Davidsons dsigns, I thought I might use his stuff as inspiration. It's not up to par with Ed by any means, but sure was fun. Thanks Ed. My wife just walked by and swiped it off the table and exclaimed that it will be on her desk at work. Glad I took a picture.

41241344_Custom%20Baron%20Chrome%20Yellowheart%20M.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

thetalbott4

Thanks for the comments.

Gerry- I didnt use the black mulga cuz I didnt have any pieces big enough for the base and I wasnt sure it was gonna turn out. Spendy stuff to experiment with!

Huzzah- It is a chrome Baron pen kit from AS, although not too many of the parts get used. If you look in my album you can see it opened. It is a screw cap kit and the arcs on the bottom (which is actually the cap) are done with a forstner bit. They are drilled as complete holes then cut off halfway through the hole if that makes sense.

Ed- Thanks for the kind words. It's easy to be good if you follow great people around.

Ron Mc

Scott,
I have looked at this pen several times since you posted it and I must say that I really like it. You have done a great job!

thetalbott4

Scott,
I have looked at this pen several times since you posted it and I must say that I really like it. You have done a great job!

[:0]Wow...it doesnt get any better than that right there! Thanks Ron. Now if I could just figure out a way to make everyone think it was my design...nah. Hats off to YoYoSpin for the great design.

hazegry

Scott could you explain how you made the pen in a little more detail I think I would like to give this a try. and how did you finish the top with it cut on an angle like that?

thetalbott4

Scott could you explain how you made the pen in a little more detail I think I would like to give this a try. and how did you finish the top with it cut on an angle like that?

There is a lot of great info on the site about closed end pens so I wont get into that part of it. A search for "closed end" or "pin chuck" will keep you busy for hours!

What I did for the cap (bell shaped end) was start with 1.5" square stock about 3.25" long. Drilled and tubed it as you would for a closed cap Baron. Next, drill 2 - 1" diameter holes at 90 deg to each other. Be sure to leave about 1/4" between the bottom of the tube and the 1" holes. Mount it on a pin chuck and turn the shape you want and rough sand it. Take it off the lathe and make a cut (I used a bandsaw) across the center line of the 2 - 1" holes. Now you have the cap. Put it back on the lathe and finish. The four points it sits on are never level so sit it on sandpaper and rub it back and forth until it sits level on all four points. Hand sanding and finishing required for some areas.

For the body of the pen I started with a .75" square by 4" long blank. Drill and tube as you would for a closed end Baron. Turn your shape and rough sand it. Take it off the lathe and make the angled cut. Sand as needed to remove chip-out and cut-marks from the angled cut. Put it back on the lathe and finish.

Thats a real rough idea of how it's done. I just figured it out as I went.

realgenius

Scott, Sounds like your wife and my daughter came from the same "Snitch Mold". Jess sees something I've just made, gives me the puppy dog blinks and slips it into her pocket. Then w/a kiss on my cheek and a hearty "hi ho Mother" is gone in a cloud of dust [:D][:I], Debra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom