Trying something new

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Draken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draken

A coworker has asked for a segmented pen. I've come up with an idea, but I needed to see if it would work or not. This is the result of the first test. Hard to see in the photo, but there is thin aluminum strips between the curly maple and the redheart running the length of the pen.
Comments and criticisms welcome.

2007521163933_2007-011SlimlineSegementCS.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kkwall

Very nice pen, and good work on the segmentation.[8D]

Can just about see the aluminium in the photo. Hope it shows up more in person, as it is a lot of added work if you cant see it very well. Again Nice work.

gerryr

Unfortunately, I can't see the aluminum, but it could just be my monitor, a pretty old Dell. The work looks good, although it looks like the redheart doesn't quite meet the nib fitting. That could be a photographic aberration and I've seen plenty of those. What did you use for a finish?

JimGo

The pic doesn't do the pen justice - I got to see this one in person yesterday! The aluminum is very subtle, but it really makes the demarcation between the woods nice and crisp.

Draken

Thanks for the comments everyone. This is the first step towards something grander, needed to make sure the metal in line with the pen wouldn't cause any problems with turning it. Didn't want the blank to delaminate at the wood-metal joint. The metal is very subtle, but that will be the look wanted in the final pen. And the final pen will include metal as well as some black dyed veneer, and a few other things. [:D] Just hope it works like I have pictured in my mind... [;)]

Almost forgot, the finish is lacquer, the only finish I currently use. And all of the fits are spot on, must be a photo illusion.

ahoiberg

nice work draken. the segmenting is fun. where did you get the aluminum thin enough to use in something like that?

Draken

Pepsi can. [:D] Make sure you sand the inside to remove the plastic liner and the outside to remove the ink. I used 220 on a random orbit sander. Clamp it down so it doesn't try to spin on you, and wear gloves, that stuff is sharp!

Texatdurango

Hi Draken,

After attending a "wave pen" demo Saturday, I am having similar thoughts of using aluminum, which I have on hand, to do some similar color seperations with.

What I am faced with and see with the pen is not enough contrast between the maple and aluminum. I would think it needs to be sandwiched between two darker woods to really show itself off. I think the redheart/aluminum/thin redheart strip/aluminum/redheart would make a stunning pen!

Just my thoughts! [:)]

George

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Hi James, I love when people try something new. Doing something like this does make things more enjoyable, doesn't it?
When I first saw it, I honestly wasn't taken by it. But then like most people I guess that I looked at the photo without reading your post. [B)] I too didn't see the ally strips.
I've never used really thin metal and would like to hear if you had any problems drilling for the tubes? And what method you used to turn it.

Cheers[:D]

Draken

Despite my fears, it turned basically as if the aluminum wasn't even there. Drilling and turning weren't an issue. Used the skew as usual, and finished it my normal way as well. Now to start working on the final design, that will take a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom