Trying some things I've never done

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from tseger

tseger

Peacock blank from woodcraft. This is the first time I have used any aluminum ( a cut up sprite can)
alum_segment_sierra.jpg

Coconut blank from woodcraft on a chrome cigar.
whiteacrylic_cigar.jpg

This is a piece of curly koa from Chris(Kalai) I got from the donation drawing during our 6th birthday bash. This is the first time I have turned koa, but it wont be the last. Thanks Chris.
koa_cigar.jpg

The next two are my first worthless wood pens. I got these from Victor(landfilllumber). Both are finished with ca.
ww_gold_cigar.jpg
ww_chrome_cigar.jpg

And finally, this is my first Confederate Battle Flag kit from Constant. Any that were at the TN/N. AL chapter meeting Sunday knows that this one had to have a little repair:eek:
battleflag.jpg

Thanks for looking, any comment, good or bad welcome.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jmhoff10500

Those are some great looking "experiments". they look great and i just cant believe how breathtaking your finishes are, Great Work!

PaulDoug

Some great looking pens you have. The first one is awesome and I'd like to learn how to do it that nice. And second choice for outstansing is the first pictured worthless wood. That is a stunning blank in my opinion. I've never been too excited about WW that that pen is very cool.

tseger

Johnathan and Paul, thanks for the nice comments. Paul, the blank was kinda plain and I thought it needed "something". I had seen people on here using the aluminum cans before and I had never tried it, so I just kinda made some cuts on each end and used ca glue to put them back together after inserting the aluminum. The finish was sand with abranet to 400 then wet sand through all micro mesh grits the plastic polish and a good coat of carnuba wax to keep the fingerprints off. I hope this helped, if you have further questions feel free to ask.

tseger

Awesome work there, Tim. I love the curly Koa.

Chris
Man that curly koa was awesome. Like I said this was the first I have ever turned, it drilled, turned, sanded, and finished good. I think I have one more blank, so I gotta be getting some more.
Thanks for all the comments.

tseger

What did you make your cuts with, a scrollsaw or bandsaw? I use a 1/4 inch bandsaw with 14 tpi & the kerf is way to wide for alum. or tin.

Richard, the cuts were actually made with a miter saw. I was not trying to achieve a particular pattern, I was basically just experi.... PLAYING to see what I come up with. If you look at the aluminum at the top of the pen near the clip, you can see the effects of the wide kerf.

phillywood

Tim, Nice looking pens, and I also have to add that your finishes are very nice.
I have a QSN?
"Peacock blank from woodcraft. This is the first time I have used any aluminum ( a cut up sprite can)"
Can you tell me how it's done for anewbie, or direct me to the info if it is somewhere on IAP, please?

tseger

Tim, Nice looking pens, and I also have to add that your finishes are very nice.
I have a QSN?
"Peacock blank from woodcraft. This is the first time I have used any aluminum ( a cut up sprite can)"
Can you tell me how it's done for anewbie, or direct me to the info if it is somewhere on IAP, please?

Phillip, thanks for the nice comment, like I said, this is the first time I have done this, and I don't know if I used the "proper" method or not, but this is what I did.... I cut the top and bottom off of a sprite can which left me with a cylinder of aluminum that I cut into 1" strips. I then took the acrylic blank to the miter saw and made a cut, I then roughed up the aluminum with a piece of 150 grit sandpaper to get better adhesion and glued the pieces back together with the aluminum inserted between them. As mentioned above, this will not work for things such as celtic knots because the kerf of the blade I used is thicker than the aluminum I inserted in the cuts.
I hope this helped, and if you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

phillywood

Tim,Thank you very much for the explanation. I had to go back and look at yor pen to make sense of what you were mentioning here and I finally got did. thanks for not laughing at te qsn and sharing your knowlege.

bitshird

Tim I can attest those are some sharp pens, I have a couple of Victors worthless wood blanks, sorry I couldn't remember whose it was at the meeting, The Curly Koa is real pretty

Top Bottom