Trying out some new ideas

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Brooks803

Brooks803

Haven't had much time for turning lately. I've been glued to my casting table hours on end. Good thing is I got to try casting some ideas I came up with for the August PITH.

First up is a Graduate RB. My idea was to try and cast something that looks like a flame but nothing like my combustion blank. It was a good idea, but I think it fell a bit flat once it was finished. Might need to add more blue and deepen the orange. Reverse painted black:

DSC03474 (576x700).jpg DSC03477 (621x700).jpg DSC03476 (639x700).jpg

Next is a new blank I've been playing around with. This was my tester piece and I put it on an Aero BP. Turned great with standard and carbide tools. Did need a CA finish though. I was hoping to avoid that part but alas. Reverse painted black:

DSC03469 (647x700).jpg DSC03471 (623x700).jpg

Last but not least was a pour from leftover resin. I had no clue as to what it'd end up looking like. Thankfully I wrote down what I did bc this came out AWESOME :biggrin:. I put it on an Aero BP and reverse painted black.

DSC03463 (615x700).jpg DSC03467 (624x700).jpg DSC03465 (566x700).jpg DSC03468 (580x700).jpg

Thanks for looking!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

First up is a Graduate RB. My idea was to try and cast something that looks like a flame but nothing like my combustion blank. It was a good idea, but I think it fell a bit flat once it was finished...

Jonathon,

Since this pen is met with such disfavor in your eyes, I want to brighten your day. You have my address. You may quickly send the offending item to me, and be able to get on with your life. I have helped others who seemed to have lost their way. An ability I did not ask for, but none-the- less, have.

Steve

jyreene

I like them all but I'll add my little comments. First one is good but does need a little brighter tone/touch to it. Your the color expert though so I'll let you work on that.

Second one is nice. I see that experiment turned out nicely.

Last one is I interesting but the large void on the center seems kind of off putting. I do like the swirl though.

leaycraft

Jon:
Wow! I really liked the subtlety of the first pen- the detail in the colors is amazing. The last pen spectacular.
FYI- I showed my PITH pens to friends at work - they are not turners the reaction is over the top- they are wowed by the beautiful pens. Gues I should start making some for them.

Brooks803

Jonathon,

Since this pen is met with such disfavor in your eyes, I want to brighten your day. You have my address. You may quickly send the offending item to me, and be able to get on with your life. I have helped others who seemed to have lost their way. An ability I did not ask for, but none-the- less, have.

Steve

You're right Steve...I do have your address :wink: However, I think I'll keep the pen for now. The couple of extra leftover blanks.....who knows :wink:

I like them all but I'll add my little comments. First one is good but does need a little brighter tone/touch to it. Your the color expert though so I'll let you work on that.

Second one is nice. I see that experiment turned out nicely.

Last one is I interesting but the large void on the center seems kind of off putting. I do like the swirl though.

Thanks for the honest feedback Tyson. If I did make more of the last one (which I most likely will...or maybe already have :rolleyes:) it most likely wouldn't have as much dead space. I personally like it as is. I like how it's busy in areas and not covering the entire thing.

johncrane

All very nice Jonathon! the last one is my favorite the colors look really cool, also Jonathon i was wondering what File type or program do you use that allows more than 5 photos in one post, when i upload from a URL it only allows 5 photos, at times it would be good to be able to add more

Brooks803

All very nice Jonathon! the last one is my favorite the colors look really cool, also Jonathon i was wondering what File type or program do you use that allows more than 5 photos in one post, when i upload from a URL it only allows 5 photos, at times it would be good to be able to add more

Thanks John! For my pics I use photobucket & the Upload program here on IAP.

On photobucket I copy and paste the IMG code for each picture into my post. I don't put them in the IAP upload page.

With the IAP upload page you can fill all 5 slots and hit upload. Then the slots are clear and you can upload another 5 images. Not sure what the max is but I know I can do atleast 10.

Hope that helps.

Lucky2

I don't have a favorite, they all look fantastic. And seeing as how no one else has asked, I would like to purchase a few of each blank from you. Do you have any spares, or do you think that you'll ever make these to sell? If you ever want to sell any, please get in contact with me as I want them.
Len

Brooks803

Thank you EVERYONE for all the kind words! I appreciate it so very much :biggrin:

The last one is awesome. Reminds me of some pictures I've seen taked form the Hubble Telescope.
That's what I thought too.

The orange & black is really subtle. I like it, but it may be hard to see in person. Unless you examine it closely. You should call it "Slow Burn".

Thanks Bob! I think I'll have to use that name. I like it.

ttpenman

I really want to try my hand at casting my own blanks, and I understand the basics of colors and swirls and ribbons. But, when I see the incredible blanks you and a few others make, my feeble mind can't even comprehend what you do to make these beautifui works of art. They are gorgeous!!!

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

Rob73

I'm going to make some items for a gaming club I'm in for Eve Online (space game) those last two blank styles would be great. I'll probably be using decals for their logo so I'm probably going to be thinking of something larger than a pen. That last one really reminds me of the gaseous clouds in space. You make more of those to sell I'll have to try them out ;)

Brooks803

Thank you ALL!

That leftover is a stunner, different from your others as the swirls aren't as smokey looking. But really like it!

Thanks Phil! Yeah there's a reason for that. The smokey swirls are a hell of a lot easier to pull off than ones like this. I tried duplicating it yesterday and had a pretty high failure rate.

philb

Smokey looking swirls and easy never seem to go together whenever I have the molds and PR out!
And they never look anything close to what you pull out in every thread!!

Phil

Thank you AL

That leftover is a stunner, different from your others as the swirls aren't as smokey looking. But really like it!

Thanks Phil! Yeah there's a reason for that. The smokey swirls are a hell of a lot easier to pull off than ones like this. I tried duplicating it yesterday and had a pretty high failure rate.

Top Bottom