Try at faux ebonite

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Displaced Canadian

While I was waiting for a few things to come in for one of my projects I thought I would try a shot at making a blank that looks like ebonite but doesn't cost like it. It's made with alumilite clear with paint pigment cast in a PVC pipe. Please tell me what you think. I haven't seen a lot of the real stuff to have a good frame of reference. Thank you for looking.

Attachments

• Faux Ebonite.JPG
    Faux Ebonite.JPG
    165.7 KB · Views: 291
  • DSC01687.JPG
    DSC01687.JPG
    165.4 KB · Views: 273
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jjartwood

Good looking blank,Ebonite is nice but I don't think it looks any better than your blank.
I'm kind of partial to home made stuff (shows imagination) and this is a fine example of
a pen blank thats very attractive and interesting,alot going on.
Nice work. PVC pipe??
Mark

I used PVC pipe as a mold because I had some and if you use a round mold you use about 1/3 less resin. I let it sit overnight then set it in hot water for about 30 seconds to remove the blank.

alphageek

Former Moderator
That's a really good simulation of the look. The big pro in my opinion is the improved smell. Ebonite is horrible to turn. The big con (again IMO) would be the feel of it. Ebonite has more "give" in your hand than acrylic - being rubber based it just feels different than your typical acrylic.

It is true. Ebonite does still have a softer feel and with my limited experience I think ebonite is still better for kitless work. I think it is a little less prone to breaking when dropped.

BSea

I think you did a really good job. It's impossible to match the pattern, but it's still a cool blank. And since it's alumilite, it would work well for kitless pens.

Ed McDonnell

I've been playing around with adding various things to PR to attempt to modify it's physical characteristics. I've gotten interesting / encouraging results. One experiment actually ended up producing a cured resin that was like rubber. You could bend the rod of cured PR and even tie it in knots. Of course, the softer the resin, the harder it is to achieve a high gloss polish.

If you are interested in trying this for your faux ebonite, I would suggest you experiment with the following two things:

1) webbing solution added to PR. Available from PR suppliers (US Composites / Illstreet).

2) #6 plastic dissolved in your PR resin. (cut up plastic cup)

There didn't seem to be any hazardous or worrisome effects from adding either of the above to PR, but that doesn't mean there aren't any. Proceed with the reasonable cautions that experimentation demands if you decide to try this.

Ed

BSea

I used PVC pipe as a mold because I had some and if you use a round mold you use about 1/3 less resin. I let it sit overnight then set it in hot water for about 30 seconds to remove the blank.

Hi Chris,

I never tried the hot water trick. Does it always seem to work?

Mike B
I've also never heard of this. I always thought alumilite would just about bond itself to the pvc. The only time I've used PVC with alumilite was 1/2" and used black just for sections. Now PR, I might expect it to release, but I'd never heard this about alumilite. Good to know.

healeydays

Hi Chris,

I never tried the hot water trick. Does it always seem to work?

Mike B
I've also never heard of this. I always thought alumilite would just about bond itself to the pvc. The only time I've used PVC with alumilite was 1/2" and used black just for sections. Now PR, I might expect it to release, but I'd never heard this about alumilite. Good to know.

I've used PVC pipe for alumilite, but one out of every 3 seems to stick, so if hot water works, "Honey put the pot on"...

I have only used the tubes for 2 castings. So far if you put them in hot water for just short of a minute the blank will push out of the tube. They won't fall out but they will push out without having to use a hammer.I'm sure after a few more castings I'll have to cut them off.

BSea

Ok, I was going to try this since I had a few pieces of black alumilite still in the 1/2" PVC. I don't know if it was because the piece is probably 6 months old, or that it was because my garage is pretty cold right now, but I could just push it out. No need for hot water at all. I know when they were 1st poured, that they seemed to be bonded to the PVC. In fact I turned the PVC off of one blank. Thanks for the tip.

Last edited:
Top Bottom