Trouble with Coolibah Burl / Majestic

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Hubert H

Hubert H

I have never turned Coolibah Burl before. This one wanted to splinter - big time. YES my tools were VERY sharp. Is this normal for Coolibah Burl? I didn't think I was going to make it with this one. HWH

Attachments

• Majestic-OK2.jpg
    Majestic-OK2.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 280
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred

Many burls are quite prone to blow outs. CA is a must for most burls. Just a quick dab here and there and continue to turn. SCARY SHARP tools are also mandatory.

Just go easy and take your time, use the CA, and keep everything nice and sharp. :biggrin:

PenPal

Hubert,

There is no norm for timber at all any more than there is for people. The great danger in buying timber anywhere is to find shakes, cracks leading in or out,deformations that although interesting require treatments other than normal.

Living as I do in an area where Coolibah is common and processed and sold commercially having been harvested by local people travelling distances my observation is Coolibah is one of the easiest of burls to work with. The real bitey one is Red Mallee Burl.

As the Scientists say why is this so? My own opinion is any Burl is formed in a complex way for many reasons resulting in absolutely beautiful manifestations of grain, figure.

So finally there are tough blanks, easy to manage blanks, historically deadly hard blanks such as Pink Ivory, African Ebony and a long list of others.

All generalisations of timber blanks can only be assessed on numbers the number one blank of yours at this time may not be atypical of all Coolibah however the resulting pen is very attractive and worthwhile. With splintery as you describe blanks carefully get near to the finish size and use quality sand paper to reduce to the final size. I believe experience in time will guide you in when to vary your technique.

My Wood Craft Guild had for ever it seemed a magnificent member who used to buy bridge timber in huge sizes and his only method was a scraper to reduce the timber to shape making incredible table lamps, they were always prize winners. This timber was harder than and full of grit and old and this man figured out his own way to hold and turn these monsters, for me a truly inspirational guy.

One swallow doth not a summer make. One Coolibah blank is the beginning of a love affair with the sensational Australian Burl timbers as you can see so much pleasure in colour and grain.

Have fun I do.

Kind regards Peter. PS. Your blank may or may not be Coolibah I just had another look at it.

Last edited:

Hubert H

Thanks for the comments. I must have just had a really difficult blank. I have turned Red Mallee Burl and it was pretty easy compared to this blank. It is nice wood and I will turn another one when someone wants something like Coolibah. HWH

Top Bottom