Trophy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BKelley

BKelley

When PSI came out with the Deer Antler Stand I knew I had to have one. This one is the antique brass version. I picked cocobolo to make base. To me cocobolo is one of the nicest turning woods, only thing it makes my hands break out is a terrible rash. The pen is also cocobolo. Now I have all three, pen, base and rash! I guess the end result was worth the endless scratching, well almost. Comments about pen and stand welcome, advice on rash needed.

Ben

Attachments

• TROPHY ii.jpg
    TROPHY ii.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 254
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mecompco

Looks great! My solution to the Cocobolo rash was to stop turning it. Each time I got a worse rash, even with washing right after. Sad, as it is a beautiful wood.

stonepecker

Have you tried ware-ing the tight latex gloves?
I know one person with the same rash problem that solved it by using the cheap ones from Harbor Freight. Puts them on and when finished or needs a break.....throws them out. Single use, Never touches the outside but folds them in like a doctor. End of his rash. And when he is done for the day.....uses high pressure air the last thing and blows any dust off outside the shop.
It is worth a try.

Love the stand. It might only be an "8 pointer" but the pen looks like a million. Very nice work.

Last edited:

RogerC

Cocobolo is a well-known allergen. Lots of guitar builders have stopped using it altogether because of the dangers. Most people's allergic reactions to it get worse and worse. If you want to keep turning it, you need to wear long sleeves, gloves, and most importantly, full-face breathing protection. Essentially you need to do everything you can to minimize any skin contact.

Woodchipper

I have the HF nitrile gloves and they are good for various things. They are thin enough to tear if in a bad situation. Also have vinyl gloves which are even more flimsy.

Top Bottom