Trombone Tribute

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MartinPens

MartinPens

I didn't make it into the top three for Freestyle, but I had a ton of fun on this one. Now I'm looking for instrument parts!

This is the third valve, I think, from a trumpet I found in a thrift store. The wood is curly Koa
My son plays the trombone and I think it looks more like a trombone pen than a trumpet pen.

Enjoy! Hope it makes you smile.

Martin

Attachments

• Instrument-Pen04sm.jpg
    Instrument-Pen04sm.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 581
  • Instrument-Pen03sm.jpg
    Instrument-Pen03sm.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 363
  • Instrument-Pen02_sm.jpg
    Instrument-Pen02_sm.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 367
  • Instrument-Pen01_sm.jpg
    Instrument-Pen01_sm.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 302

ttpenman

That is so cool. I played trumpet (not all that well) so I appreciate the use of the 'spit' valve. Curious how it feels when writing? I'll have to keep an eye out for a beat up trumpet. Maybe check with the music shop that makes repairs.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

DrBills

I played the trombone, and yeah it reminds me of one as well.

I think any brass instrument player would love a pen like that!

Bill

GoodTurns

very cool pen. if you're looking for other "pen sized" parts, watch for Christmas ornaments...I always stock up in January (during their EVERYTHING MUST GO" sale..frequently find parts that fit in pen designs.

Grim Spirit

This is the third valve, I think, from a trumpet I found in a thrift store.

Technically: It is the spit-valve located on the 180° bend on the Third Valve slide. The Third Valve slide is extended to slightly lower the tone of a note when using both the First & Third valves or all three.

Now, geekiness aside, that is one beautiful pen. And it does look more like a Trombone (my instrument, as my embouchure works best with large brass).

Now, I wonder if my sister will let me have her trumpet so I can replicate this....Nah..it's a 30 year old Vincent Bach Stradivarius and worth more than my truck. Pawn-shop here I come.

Last edited:

MartinPens

I've been looking through eBay.there are these parts out there, but they are not cheap - especially when they are silver!!

My next step is to drop by all of the instrument repair shops around which, I don't think, will be too many.

Martin

jaywood1207

Very unique. There is also a small slide on the second valve that would work but it doesn't have the spit valve. For that matter you could probably use the one on the first valve as well. As much as I like this idea I don't think I'm going to rush up to my closet and pull out my silver trumpet to make a pen. I spent way too much money on it. ;)

alphageek

Former Moderator
Although the parts may be pricey, it may be an excellent specialized market you have found yourself there Martin! People who play are well aware of the cost of their instruments, so they may be willing to put out a pretty penny for a custom pen like this!

greggas

One of my favorite all time pens...love the originality.
How do you get the refil to bend?:biggrin:

thanks for sharing this

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
It is definitely a great pen. The Freestyle Contest brought out some AWSOME pens this year. I think everyone pushed the judges to their limits in narrowing the field. I guess for next year you will need one that can actually play a tune along with writing the sheet music.:biggrin: Congrats again on a great showing of a great pen.

MartinPens

Many Thanks

as a former bass trombone player - I love it!!

My eleven year old son is playing the bass trombone. I will likely keep the pen for him. I'm still searching for more parts from local instrument repair shops.

Thanks everyone for the encouraging comments and PM's. I'm really proud of this one and look forward to making a few more if I can find the parts.

Martin

thewishman

I've got an old violin laying around. It has part of signature inside but part of the name is missing, all it says is, "(smudge)varius."

Would an old violin make a decent pen?

MartinPens

thewishman said:
I've got an old violin laying around. It has part of signature inside but part of the name is missing, all it says is, "(smudge)varius."

Why not take the tuning knobs and incorporate those somehow? Imagination is the key. There would be less spit involved.

Martin

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

wizard

Martin,
That is a very unique and creative pen !! I really like your thinking "outside the box"
Thank you for showing! Regards, Doc

bensoelberg

Yikes. I mean, Yes! Send it my way and I'll be happy to send you a violin pen in return. (he said while looking up antique violin dealers who could start the bidding at a million dollars...)

Philip Wray

I am a pen turner and a Superintendent of a small school corporation in Indiana. I have a band director who will be retiring in June. He is a great band director and an accomplished trumpet player. I would like to make a pen like yours to present to him.

Can you give him any particulars on what kit or kits you used. And what your process was.

Philip Wray
pwray@usc.k12.in.us

I appreciate your help!!

Top Bottom