Trix are for kids!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from spiritwoodturner

S

spiritwoodturner

At least, that's what my 10 and 11 year old's say! My daughter says they look like Clown Suits. I thought, "Cool"! She now wants one made for each of her 24 classmates. Let's see, 12 bucks each for kits, a month's worth of casting, 10 boxes of Trix...

Anyway, they came out...FUN, I think! If you try one, have a bowl of Trix close by, as you're sure to pop through a few to the tube. No worries, pop the appropriate color into a baggie, smash with the back of a spoon, fill the hole, and with a drop of thin CA, VOILA!!!

Fruit Loops up next, got the castings done, ready to turn.

Critiques and Comments, Please!

Dale

Attachments

• IAP Trix.jpg
    IAP Trix.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 273
  • IAP Trix2.jpg
    IAP Trix2.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 169
  • IAP Trix3.jpg
    IAP Trix3.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 148
  • IAP Trix4.jpg
    IAP Trix4.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 166
  • IAP Trix5.jpg
    IAP Trix5.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 157
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rdunn12

That looks cool.I tried fruit loops.Maybe you will have better luck than me with fruit loops.I am thinking of trying Grape Nuts next,since they are so hard you can't really eat them unless you have Titanium teeth.

jttheclockman

This is how you know you got the disease bad. You start looking at food differently. Next we will be casting steaks and potatos. What is next??? There is no cure for this so good luck!!!

sparhawk

Hey Ron , I tried the fruit loops too. Would of looked good if you could finish them.:wink: Oh by the way, Dale the pens turned out great. Look really good.

S

spiritwoodturner

Nice!

LOML wants to know if your daughter's classmates are all gonna get a Trix pen :)

Cheers!

Gary

Gary, tell her "Workin' on it!", but I ain't getting any younger!

Guys, the secret is to turn them down (CAREFULLY) to about 1/8" or a bit more from being finished. Then I take them off, grip them from the inside with forceps and soak the crap out of them with CA, all around till all voids are filled, wait till it dries to avoid drips, and dry on a dowel after a few shots of accelerator. Then turn again until about 1/16th, do the same. And you have to basically fill voids on the finish CA coat too. If you're CA adverse, DO NOT TRY THESE PENS!!! But I'm betting the Fruit Loops will be the same as the Trix and the Lucky Charms and the Fruity Pebbles I've done-it's all the same stuff, just packaged different. Kinda like Taco Bell...

Anyway, they are so much fun for the kids. My kids' Principal and Asst. Principal are already scheduled for one-if they pass my kids through!!!

Dale

S

spiritwoodturner

I really like them, good job.

Hey Man, come down for a visit!!! I'm in Parker! I'm having a shop tour sometime this Summer through Front Range Woodturners, you should come, and come to a meeting too. We meet at Rockler's on Colorado Blvd., 1st Tues. of the month. Next up is Trent Bosch, who is so good it's almost sickening. PM me and I'll give you my phone # and I'll intro you at the meeting-it's a great one to come for!

Us Mountaineers gotta stick together with all the Damn Texans in this joint...(going to bed now).

Dale

JohnU

Looks good. I made a few fruity pebble pens but used clear and packed them all together. I did it for my daughter who said all of her friends at school want it. I like the way you used white. Nice job.

workinforwood

The pen is well made, not doubt about that. It is very colorful, I just question the sale-a-bility of it. As a gift, no problem, and certainly a conversation piece. I think I'd save this for a smaller kit, for kids and teenagers.

S

spiritwoodturner

I'm gonna market it to a stressed-out exec, who wants to go back to his Billy Bear bowl! If that doesn't work, I'll give it to my kids' Principal, who's already asked for it. You're right though, if I make many of them it will be with Dick Sing pen and pencil sets for the kiddos.

John, I think I remember seeing yours. More colorful for sure that way. I was going for the milk with the cereal thing, but I really liked yours a lot! I figure if it puts a smile on one of the kids' faces, it's totally worth it.

Dale

Top Bottom