Triple Crown’s 2013 BASH Pens and Pics

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Triple Crown

Triple Crown

I'm trying something new by showing full size images instead of thumbnails. I learned how to do this in the IAP Library! I am going to make a few posts in case this doesn't fit on one page.

I loved the BASH both years that I have participated! Last year I had just joined IAP and I really really enjoyed searching for the answers to the trivia contest and I entered one pen contest (Frankenpen). Even though my pen didn't win, it was so cool participating! (and, I did end up winning a great prize for being the random drawing winner of the non-winning participants in that contest).

That was so fun last year that this year I knew that I wanted to play in more of the contests, and I did! The first one I did was the Modified Pen Contest (Frankenpen). Mine was a little similar to my last year's entry, but I thought that it could still have a chance. This is the skinniest pen that I have ever made. All of my slimlines from the past have had more of an hour glass profile. My description for pen was "This is the SKINNY WHISTLER! Blank is Bubblegum Dymondwood. Works great as a safety pen (but not so not so great as a safety pin). :) An optional name is the 'Whistle While You Work' Pen."

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

My son, Garrett, saw that I was getting to play in the workshop and said that he wanted to make a pen too. I told him that he should enter the Youth Beautiful Pen contest. Well, he was all for that and picked out his blank and went to it. He's made several pens and has gained a lot of expertise. He did all of the work. I used to do the ends of his pens for him near the bushings, but he is confident enough now that he did it. As he said in his description, 'all Dad did was take pictures.' So, here are some pics.

attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php

f13

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Garrett was especially excited to enter this pen as being his own IAP member, Farlok. (He just turned 13.) His beautiful cigar pen ended up taking second place! :)

I then got to work on my Berea Hardwoods Intermediate Beautiful Pen Contest entry. For this one, I made a Majestic Junior roller ball pen using a beautiful Mexican Agate blank that I got from Exotic Blanks. This is my third non-ball point pen and I really like the junior size. My other two were full size fountain pens. I think that it came out beautifully but when I saw all of the other entries, I wasn't really surprised that it didn't make the finals. There was a good array of segmented, cast, and polymer pens where people did some really artistic blank making in addition to their very fine craftsmanship. Anyway, here is my entry!

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

To be continued...

Greg

Attachments

• Frankenpen-2.jpg
    Frankenpen-2.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 409
  • Frankenpen-3.jpg
    Frankenpen-3.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 400
  • Frankenpen-1.jpg
    Frankenpen-1.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 410
  • Farlok-1.jpg
    Farlok-1.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 422
  • Farlok-2.jpg
    Farlok-2.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 424
  • Farlok-3.jpg
    Farlok-3.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 405
  • Farlok-4.jpg
    Farlok-4.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 400
  • Youth-1.jpg
    Youth-1.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 393
  • Youth-2.jpg
    Youth-2.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 403
  • Youth-3.jpg
    Youth-3.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 396
  • Intermediate-1.jpg
    Intermediate-1.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 404
  • Intermediate-4.jpg
    Intermediate-4.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 410
  • Intermediate-3.jpg
    Intermediate-3.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 406
  • Intermediate-2.jpg
    Intermediate-2.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 408
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Great pens, I like the pictures of your son making his pen. Didnt he win the random drawing in the freestyle for voting in the polls?

Triple Crown

More Triple Crown 2013 BASH Pens and Pics

Continued from OP...

The whole family got into yummy pen making for an evening in the Edible Pen Contest. Our entry's description was "We too gained a few pounds eating up our pen making ingredients! Went meandering through Harris Teeter (grocery store) on Friday night to look for pen blanks! Our family made some fun and delicious pens! Left to right is a sour apple Old Fashioned Candy Stick long click, a Stella D'Oro Original Breadskick cigar, a kind of sourpatch stick slimline, and a Slim Jim long click. All the clips, centerbands, and nibs are made from caramel cubes. The parchment is Pringles potato chips. Unfortunately, the Toblerone dark chocolate bar didn't even make it onto the stand (oops, yum!). Thanks for a great contest! Everyone's pens look good enough to eat!! :)"

attachment.php

This delicious activity was good for a fourth place finish! And the prize has already been delivered and a lot of the chocolate is gone! Yum!! Here's the prize!

attachment.php

I don't know if there will be a BASH PRIZE PHOTOS thread, but I wanted to take this picture asap because it looks too yummy to hold off!

YUM AND FUN!!!

I received this awesome box of blanks and chocolate from Chris (Displaced Canadian) today in the mail. I cannot wait to turn some great pens with these blanks. I think the center one is one of his Damascus Linen beauties! It's got a really neat feel to it!

My wife got the mail today and told me that I got a heavy box. When I told her it was from our fun night of making the edible pens, she immediately said "Oh!, there's chocolate in there, isn't there?" :rolleyes::wink: Yep, I needed to get this picture done right away!! :biggrin:

Thank you Chris for running such a fun contest!! The prize is AWESOME!!!

I think that everyone who made a 'pen' had a really good time participating in this one!! Had we not won, it was still a GREAT TIME!

Yyyuuuuuummmmmmm... I just had one of the Mocha ones. WOW! It is delicious!! Maybe I'll hide a couple before I go back upstairs...

Thanks again!!
Greg

I also had a good idea for the R & B Crafts Freestyle Pen contest. It was simple but I love the blank that I chose. When the nib is in or out, the smoke still lines up on the two barrels. My description of the pen didn't make it into the thread, but it was something like "10, 9, 8, 7, … Okay, so this isn't really rocket science, but this pen is DA BOMB! I made the fins with pick guard." Here are some pics of my entry, Red Rocket!

attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I really loved this particular contest! The creativity of the different pens was amazing! It was pretty cool too how close the voting turned out. One other thing that was so cool was that Farlok (Garrett) won the random voter prize! That's pretty lucky!!

Besides the pen making contests, I really had fun with the trivia and puzzle contests! I even got lucky and won one of the trivia random drawings (Feb. 7).

What's cooler than taking a quick break from work to sneak onto IAP? :wink: Sneaking onto IAP and finding out you just won a box of Hawaiian woods pen blanks! :biggrin:

Aloha Kalai! Thanks so much for donating! I just looked at your website. What a cool life you have!

Thanks so much Monty, Displaced Canadian, Ed, and all the Bash Planners and Vendors! I am having a lot of fun taking part in the Bash! :)

WOO-HOOO!!
Greg

And, then I entered one of the pictures I took of Garrett turning his entry in the Youth Beautiful Pen contest in the TurnTex Woodworks Photo Contest in the Shop Life category. What would you know, it won third place!!

attachment.php

Wow! That's so cool! My submission is a picture of my son Garrett (Farlok) turning his masterpiece pen for the Youth Beautiful Pen competition. That pen ended up winning two prizes! Garrett asked what he won and I told him that the photographer won, not the person in the picture! He still doesn't agree with me so I said that we would share the prize! :biggrin:

We enjoyed looking at all the beautiful and creative photos! Thanks judges and Turn Tex Woodworks for another great IAP fun contest!

Greg

Thanks Curtis!

I received the certificate. THANK YOU!! I'm looking forward to perusing and purchasing from your online store! Yea!!! :biggrin:

If a 'No Pics Didn't Happen' type of thread comes up about showing off BASH prizes, I will repost! :biggrin::biggrin:

Thanks again!!
Greg

The BASH has been a whole month of fun and pen making excitement in our family! I loved participating and spending time doing this with my son too. By listing all of these winnings, I really hope that this post does not come across as gloating. I really am just so grateful that I got to participate in the creative and fun activities! Next year I hope to participate in the casting contests, and I definitely plan on adding to my IAP mug collection!

Thanks for looking!

Greg

Attachments

• Triple Crown Edible Pens.jpg
    Triple Crown Edible Pens.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 384
  • Yummy Pen Bash Prize.jpg
    Yummy Pen Bash Prize.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 391
  • Red Rocket 1.jpg
    Red Rocket 1.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 383
  • Red Rocket 3.jpg
    Red Rocket 3.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 405
  • Red Rocket 2.jpg
    Red Rocket 2.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 380
  • Red Rocket  4.jpg
    Red Rocket 4.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 380
  • Young Pen Turner.jpg
    Young Pen Turner.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 394

Russknan

Great essay, Greg! I know it took time. Thanks for doing it. You will certainly encourage the rest of us to participate in more contests. Although ALL the PENS you made look great, I especially like your encouragement - and the achievement - of Lord Farlock! Just remember, "The family that makes pens together . . . um . . . " Darned if I can find a way to rhyme that! Russ

Triple Crown

Great pens, I like the pictures of your son making his pen. Didnt he win the random drawing in the freestyle for voting in the polls?

Hi Mike! Thanks! Garrett had almost as much fun in the BASH as I did! :rolleyes: He loved being a part of it and when he found out that he was the random voter winner he was very excited!! I'm very lucky he still likes to do these things with me. His older brother used to, but now likes doing his own stuff more than playing with me. :) Greg

Triple Crown

Okay. I think I figured out the multi quote. :tongue: Thanks guys for your nice comments!

Awesome post great looking pens...

Thank you so much Mike! Sure had fun making them! I wanted to share about them and the whole experience. Your pens are so incredibly beautiful! Love to look at those NH pens!! :biggrin:

Great Post Lots to study.
Many thanks,
Regards
John

Thanks John! I was lucky enough to get to spend so much time in the shop that I wanted to somehow share about it. Turned out to be a pretty long post! :redface: I hope that others will post about their pens they did in the contest! I like the stories of people's pen making and seeing who did each of the pens. I loved your post about how you made your awesome shirt pocket pen!

I loved participating and spending time doing this with my son too.

Now THAT is good stuff! Thanks for the great read and wonderful pics.

Thanks Stan!! Yep I agree!! I'm so lucky he likes doing this. It doesn't necessarily last I know! :biggrin:

Well done on getting the boy involved. Making pens is cool, making pens with your son is priceless.

Pens all look good also.
Thanks Phil! Garrett is a great kid!! :biggrin:

Great essay, Greg! I know it took time. Thanks for doing it. You will certainly encourage the rest of us to participate in more contests. Although ALL the PENS you made look great, I especially like your encouragement - and the achievement - of Lord Farlock! Just remember, "The family that makes pens together . . . um . . . " Darned if I can find a way to rhyme that! Russ

Hi Russ! I always love reading your posts! :laugh: Lord Farlok has had a great time! :laugh: I hope that others will tell their stories about the BASH and their contest entries... Since everyone's pens was anonymously entered, it lets us not only see those pens again (fun!), but also see who made them and what they learned along the way of making pens and participating. As you all can tell, I sure had fun!

Thanks all for reading! (or just looking at the pictures!!) :biggrin:

Greg

Last edited:
Top Bottom