A Trio of Rotacrylics

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mark james

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I have peeked as these for a while now, and last week finally ordered three for some special occasions:

https://www.exoticblanks.com/Rotacrylic-Pen-Blanks/

The SCUBA diver is for a long-standing dive buddy (250+ dives together since 1986); Best Man in his wedding; a fellow Chemistry Major with my wife.

The Drama Theme is for his daughter who is entering College to major in Theatre Arts (Also a dive buddy).

The Sky Diver is for my eldest son who just logged his 1,000 sky dive.

I made custom finials for the SCUBA diver and the Sky Diver as there was ample material left. I left the Drama Theme finial as it already matched the black color.

I have no idea what blend Jeff uses for his blanks (something in the water in Michigan...), but these are Alumilite, and turned the easiest I have ever turned. (And I cast my own Alumilite occasionally).

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

workinforwood

Beautiful work and photography Mark, good to hear you are happy! I do not get to see every design as a finished pen, it is very satisfying to see how nice the scuba and skydiver turn out as finished product....those two I haven't seen before. Thanks for sharing

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Beautiful work and photography Mark, good to hear you are happy! I do not get to see every design as a finished pen, it is very satisfying to see how nice the scuba and skydiver turn out as finished product....those two I haven't seen before. Thanks for sharing

All three were wonderful blanks, but I will save a very special praise for the blue base color for the SCUBA blanks - the blue with underlying shimmering is awesome. This WILL be a hard pen to give away (or I will just need more), and in a family with 13 SCUBA divers it needs to be mailed tomorrow.

A two-family portrait at 60 feet.

Attachments

• TCAII 27 July - 3 August 2013 236.jpg
    TCAII 27 July - 3 August 2013 236.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 126
Top Bottom