Trio of New CSUSA kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from hewunch

hewunch

So I bit the bullet on some of the new Chicago and Manhattan kits. Here are some shots of what I have done so far. I will be back to give more of a review of them a little later. Comments welcome (good or bad)

Attachments

• manhattanclick1.jpg
    manhattanclick1.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 312
  • chicagoroller1closed.jpg
    chicagoroller1closed.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 256
  • chicagoroller1.jpg
    chicagoroller1.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 239
  • manhattanroller2.jpg
    manhattanroller2.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 291
  • manhattanroller1.jpg
    manhattanroller1.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 251

hewunch

OK, as promised some likes and dislikes about these kits.
1. They all use the same size bushings and tubes! This is WONDERFUL! I don't remember having this kind of variety of looks with the same tubes and bushings.
2. The quality seems much better than some of the other apprentice line kits
3. Styling. I really like the clip on the Manhattan pair. The Chicago is nice for other reasons. I see this as a great purse pen or a pocket pen.
4. Single barrel is both a plus and a minus. One less part, but IMO it looks best on the click and not quite as good on the rollerballs.
Dislikes
1. The clip on the Manhattan click. I like the styling, but you have to put it on and it attaches by way of 2 slots and you basically pierce the clip into it. I am afraid this will fail and quickly. Honestly, I have no idea why they didn't just go ahead and attach it.
2. The caps of the rollerballs. The Manhattan's cap is BIG, and it looks like it should friction post, but it doesn't. I am afraid people will try and wind up bushing the threads up into the cap and making the pen useless. The Chicago cap does post and this is good because the body is tiny. But the two I received have a slight plating issue (some epoxy goo in places that make it noticeable)

Overall, I think I like the Manhattan. I like the rollerball better than the click, but I would like the click better if it wasn't for the clip. I would love to hear from others that have tried these kits and see what their impression is.

Brooks803

Each has hits and misses with me. I don't like the clips on either for one. I do like the chicago RB. It looks a bit beefy, but I like the simple look to it. The manhattan rb cap looks longer than the entire body. The front section on it, is that black enamel like on the older sierra kits? I wonder how wear resistant it is being the part that's held the most.

I do see you're playing with some of your new blanks though :wink: What blank is that on the chicago rb?

thanks for the feedback on them!

Hans - Thanks for the review. I've got a Chicago in progress (waiting for bushings - got 1 kit for Christmas from LOML) and I'm also waiting on a couple Manhattans.

I'd read one other "first impressions" review and it also mentioned the clip. Be a shame if they are, indeed, a weak point, cause they are a nice design (personally I like the Manhattan's design better). We'll see.

Top Bottom