A Trio of Flying Churchills

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ve3bax

ve3bax

Good Afternoon Folks,

A trio of Churchills that I hope you will all enjoy. Marla did the hard part, I just made them round. :biggrin:

My Favorite by far is the black and white fountain pen... REALLY want to keep it for myself, doubly so since all but two of my "daily writers" are fountain pens, but I've decided to see how it does at a few shows... part of me really doesnt want it to sell :cool:

Hope you all enjoy, C&C welcome of course!

--Dave

Attachments

• black_white_ChromeChurchillFP 1.jpg
    black_white_ChromeChurchillFP 1.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 254
  • black_white_ChromeChurchillFP 2.jpg
    black_white_ChromeChurchillFP 2.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 223
  • earthtones_Gold_Churchill 1.jpg
    earthtones_Gold_Churchill 1.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 248
  • earthtones_Gold_Churchill 2.jpg
    earthtones_Gold_Churchill 2.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 188
  • red_black_white_ChromeChurchill 1.jpg
    red_black_white_ChromeChurchill 1.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 252
  • red_black_white_ChromeChurchill 2.jpg
    red_black_white_ChromeChurchill 2.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 170
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ossaguy

Those look so nice! Marla's blanks look so beautiful,and you did a fantastic job of turning them.I wouldn't want to give any of them up!

My favorite is the 2nd one,just WOW!

Steve

Robert111

Really can't decide which I like the most. They're all beautiful! Are the blanks as fragile as to turn as the retailers say in their warnings? What tool and speed do you use?

ve3bax

Really can't decide which I like the most. They're all beautiful! Are the blanks as fragile as to turn as the retailers say in their warnings? What tool and speed do you use?

They are somewhat fragile... however I'm not one to round the corners on a sander or anything like that... just light cuts... tool-wise I really only use two tools for 99% of my work, these included... a 3/4" roughing gouge to get stuff rounded, then a scary sharp skew to finish turning and shaping.. sharp tools for these are essential... speed wise, well.. I have a cheapo lathe and its variable speed starts at snail pace slow to dangerous fast but doesn't indicate any rpm value... I turn these at the same speed I turn wood. The only caution I would add is to check them frequently once you get close to finished size... I've found on a few of the blanks now that when you start getting close to the finished diameter the feathers *MAY* start to poke through on the end where everything is all piled up.. (center band area) when it happens I usually just soak a bit of thin CA into the spot to help seal it up, proceed with extreme caution :biggrin: and keep an eye on that spot... then when I've hit the finished size clean everything really well, and give it a coat or two of medium CA before final polishing... the patched up spot, if cleaned well beforehand is pretty well impossible to spot after...

Don't let any of that put you off though! These turn like a dream and look great when you are finished!

--Dave

RogerH

Dave: I like your modesty ---"I just turned them round". VERY beautiful job.

Marla's blanks are fabulous, aren't they? I have 3 sets waiting at home, and to tell the truth, I'm not sure which I am more excited about, Thanksgiving dinner or having Friday off to turn the feather blanks!

Great choice on kits, too.

If you don't mind, what do you anticipate that they will sell for in your area? I am going to a show in a few weeks, and it is the first one where I will have them for sale, and I could use help on pricing them.

Thx, and what beautiful work.

Roger

thewishman

Those are fantastic!!!! The third one is my favorite - all of them are remarkable.

When you price them for sale - make sure to price them high enough that you will be happy to see them go. That takes the sting out.:)

JohnU

Beautiful pens Dave! Marla did a great job, as usual, usin feathers that compliment each other. Your choice of hardware, fit and finish are top notch as well. Nice work, both of you.

ve3bax

Thanks Everyone!

I find it interesting that there is so much interest in the earth tones pen... It's headed to my mother in law for a Christmas gift, so I hope she likes it as much as the folks here do :cool:

Those are fantastic!!!! The third one is my favorite - all of them are remarkable.

When you price them for sale - make sure to price them high enough that you will be happy to see them go. That takes the sting out.:)

I took the black fountain as well as three barons I had to a show last weekend... I had what I would consider a very reasonable (IE WAY too low) price on them, and no takers.. :frown: Admittedly, while the show was large and crowded it really wasn't the right venue to sell pens... If it doesn't sell before Christmas, no big deal, I've been itching to ink it up, so maybe it will find its way under the tree... to: me, from: me :cool:

--Dave

Top Bottom