Tried a virage

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from crabcreekind

crabcreekind

I picked up a virage kit from woodcraft. I thought it might be finial twist. But i wasnt sure and I had never made one before. I like the kit. The twist is smooth, and it doesnt unscrew very easy, which is good for the user. I found this flaw in twist sierras. That is why i stopped buying them. I believe I cut the cut too short when trimming. So the brass piece showed at the bottom when i pushed it together. So i solved this by taking a sharpie and coloring the brass. There is still a gap there. But it not ugly and noticeable because of the brass not showing through.

Attachments

• 100_7040.jpg
    100_7040.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 289
  • 100_7041.jpg
    100_7041.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 287
  • 100_7043.jpg
    100_7043.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 167
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OOPS

Hi James: That is really a stunning pen you made. I like how the blue reflects off the chrome hardware. (I don't see any gaps, either.)

Crashmph

if there really is a small gap there, you can try to grind off a little of the top of the transmission to give a little more room on the inside. DAMHIKT... :)

toddlajoie

There should be plenty of slop in the length of the blank. I just pulled apart one of these I have at my desk, and there is probably close to 1/2 inch of empty space in the finial after the transmission is pressed in, and it seems to get pressed in a bit less than 1/2 inch also. by my figuring, that would allow the pen to work with a blank that is probably as much as 3/8 too long OR too short...

Jjartwood

better fit

the brass collar that fits into the nib does not fully seat every time and sometimes requires a little extra push, I'd give that a try it may seat enough to
buy that little extra that you need.
nice looking pen though
Mark

crabcreekind

the brass collar that fits into the nib does not fully seat every time and sometimes requires a little extra push, I'd give that a try it may seat enough to
buy that little extra that you need.
nice looking pen though
Mark

I looked at it and it looked like it was seated all the way, but i can give it an extra push.

thewishman

That Virage looks nice. The components are very unforgiving - the barrel must be the exactly right diameter or you can really feel it at the joints. You did a nice job.:)

Top Bottom