Tried Turning Between Centers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from navycop

navycop

I could not turn the pen between centers because of my toolrest. I did do the sanding,micromesh and finish BC though. I will start appling my CA this way also. Want to thank rherrell (Richard Harrell) for making the 60 degree dead center.

Attachments

• 15 Aug 2012 009.jpg
    15 Aug 2012 009.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 297
  • 15 Aug 2012 007.jpg
    15 Aug 2012 007.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 219
  • 15 Aug 2012 018.jpg
    15 Aug 2012 018.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Texatdurango

Mike, Just so you know........... Without a doubt the best tools available for turning between centers are the short tool rests made by rherrell (Richard Harrell).

If you look at the first post in the thread.... http://www.penturners.org/forum/f14/turning-between-centers-another-way-54760/ and flip to step 11 and 12 you can see how close in you can get the tool rest. I love the tool control the short tool rests provide rather than having the tool rest an inch away from the blanks because they are too long to fit between the centers. Every time I read where someone has a CATCH when they are just about finished shaping a blank, I can't help but wonder how far their tool rest is away from the blank when the tool tries to take a nose dive!

I have several different lengths but my favorite is only 1 3/4" long and I use it for just about everything and is especially handy for working on fountain pen sections.

Just another opinion!

SDB777

Rick got my funds for a tool rest after I watched John do a turning demo using it! And I probably need to get with him for a few different size(lengths) too!

The pen....
Prettu cool acxrylic blank and you showed off the coloring very well with the waspy body! Well turned and finished!!!!

Scott (Ricks tha man) B

RSidetrack

I am still in need of a tool rest made more for turning between centers myself. I have managed to not have a problem yet, but one side of my tool rest is about half an inch away while the other is well over 2. Still my desired method, I haven't used a mandrel since January.

TerryDowning

Mike (navycop), I know you're a Shopsmith user, so here is my 2 cents. Scrounge around for a used SS tool rest and cut it down. They are very soft and will cut with a hack saw. I had a friend with a metal cutting bandsaw cut one down to 4 inches for use with my mandrel and it made all the difference. I can angle it slightly for TBC but I would like to get another tool rest and cut it down to 2 inches. rherrel may be able to manufacture one for us SS users as well. Remember, our tool rests aren't like the standard ones as tool rest height is controlled differently, so if you have one made, make sure you include pics of the rest by itself and installed on your lathe.

navycop

Mike (navycop), I know you're a Shopsmith user, so here is my 2 cents. Scrounge around for a used SS tool rest and cut it down. rherrel may be able to manufacture one for us SS users as well. Remember, our tool rests aren't like the standard ones as tool rest height is controlled differently, so if you have one made, make sure you include pics of the rest by itself and installed on your lathe.
Maybe reherrel can make one to adapt to the top of SS tool holder or put grooves in it for height adjustment.

Top Bottom