Tried a Princeton

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from G1Pens

G1Pens

Couldn't decide if I liked this kit or not from the pictures I had seen. Woodcraft had them on sale last time I was in the store so I grabbed one to try. I must say that after getting it assembled, I think I like it pretty well. It is very comfortable to hold and the kit seems very solid to me.

This one is chrome with some grapevine. Finish is about 12 coats of CA. Grape vine does not turn or sand very smooth, so it took a lot of CA to get it smoothed out.

Thanks for looking. Comments and criticisms welcomed.

Attachments

• IMG_8425a-web.jpg
    IMG_8425a-web.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 342
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The Princeton is the same as the Berea-Virage, just for your reference. I wish the barrel was longer, but with that long nose, the "material" comes up shorter.

Nice look on this one, Gary!!

BlackPearl

I did one a couple of weeks ago, I have been trying to use it as my pen but it is not just right. I think it is about 3/4" too short.

BSea

I'm not a fan of this style. It looks like someone decided the sierra needed an updated look. I do like the clip, but that's about it.

Roos85

Pen looks nice, but doesnt seem like it would be nice to write with. I was thinking about ordering a few of these kits, guess I will steer clear for now.

G1Pens

Pen looks nice, but doesnt seem like it would be nice to write with. I was thinking about ordering a few of these kits, guess I will steer clear for now.

I wouldn't write it off....

I do not dislike it. My wife liked it A LOT !!! I think it will depend on the user. It could easily be extended 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch by lengthening the body and still have it work

Mike D

Nicely done Gary!

I've turned a few and yes the barrel does need to be a bit longer for appearances but it is a very comfortable pen to write with. I'll use a longer tube on my next one and see how that looks. There have been some complaints I've read about the plating being flawed on the gold kits but I've turned the platinum and chrome like Gary's and didn't see any issues.

Last edited:

PenMan1

Nice looking pen, Gary!

I'm glad to hear your evaluation of this product. I'd already written this unit off, before even turning it, simply because I didn't like the feel of the front section.

After reading your comments, I, AT LEAST, should finish one of these and carry it for a while to see if it "grows on me".

Yours really is a nice looking product.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Amazing, I have hundreds of them and have not turned one yet (concern about eye infection---no turning for a while).

76winger

Gary, you did a great job finishing and photographing the pen.

Because of twist finial it reminds me of an executive only with a shorter body and longer nib section in place of it. I'll be interested to see others thoughts on it.

G1Pens

Gary, you did a great job finishing and photographing the pen.

Because of twist finial it reminds me of an executive only with a shorter body and longer nib section in place of it. I'll be interested to see others thoughts on it.

Actually it is not a "twist finial". It is a body twist...like the Sierra

Top Bottom