Tried a couple of new things last night

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from davinci27

davinci27

This is last nights work. I tried a couple of new things with this pen, This is the first hidden/inset clip I've done. It was a bit nerve racking but I think it turned out pretty well. I've got to improve my technique a bit as I think the clip opening is a little bit 2 wide. Its also the first time I've done a shapped center band. Instead of the center band going straight across where it meets the lower barrel, it curves up just a bit on the sides.

The pen is made with Afzalia Burl and ebony. There is a small strip of holly separating the afzalia and ebony. The finish is CA MM through 12000, EEE, and renwax. The kit is a slimline/streamline.

Comments, critiques and complaints always welcome.

Attachments

• afb_use.jpg
    afb_use.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 418
  • afb_Tuse.jpg
    afb_Tuse.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 369
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GouletPens

I really like the look of that pen, which says a lot because I generally hate slimline pens. It's very clean, very classy looking. I think you did a great job. I really like the centerband too, that's a really neat look. Did you come up with that or did you see it somewhere else first?

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I hope you are going to enter that in your Free Style contest:wink:

Someone has to give The Scrollsaw Wizard a run for his money.:biggrin:

workinforwood

Just keep the whole thing on the Hush Hush Steve! Go back to writing your book. :biggrin:

Sorry...I mis-read about the clip, thought it said it was recessed. It's an awesome pen. I haven't done the hidden clip, just the recessed clips. I'll have to give that a go sometime soon.

davinci27

Did you come up with that or did you see it somewhere else first?
A little of both. I've been playing around with making pen that give the illusion that the different pieces and barrels are running under each other(http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42724, http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42279), so I already had this thought in my head. Then yesterday as I was looking around PMG and saw a similar concept and somebody submitted another simliar concept to the slimline contest so I decided to give it a shot.

skiprat said:

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I can't compete in contests that I'm running. I did enter it in the newbie contest.

Any way I don't know if I'd be much competitions for ol' sponge bob. As The Who said "That deaf, dumb, blind kid sure runs a mean scroll saw":biggrin:

VisExp

Ben, I really like the curve on the center band. Very unique. The recessed clip looks awesome. The woods you've chosen here really work well together. Great job.

davinci27

Thanks for all the nice comments. I love this piece of wood. I didn't think I was going to be happy with it. It looked fairly plain when it was square. Just another example of you don't know what you've got till its round.

Ben, very nice work.Creative to say the least, and
nice piece of wood to boot!

Thanks John I used my new slimline bushings and dead center on the lower barrel. I bought them from somebody on this board. Now who was that :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

This board is great there are so many techniques and people ready to help you learn stuff.

Top Bottom