Tribute to Jazz Music in New Orleans

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Fireengines

Fireengines

This pen is a tribute to Jazz music in New Orleans.

The pen kit is the Music Antique Brass Twist Pen Kit.

The top of the pen is African Blackwood that represents New Orleans vibrant music scene rooted in its musical legacy, a legacy that is African-American at its core.

The bottom part is Honduran Mahogany removed from New Orleans streetcars which symbolizes the charm and romance of the City of New Orleans.

Instead of Mercury CA, I covered the wood with Doctor's Woodshop Pens Plus using the method presented by Lisburn Wood Works I found on YouTube.

One note, I trimmed these two blanks perfectly. However, once pressed, there was still a gap between the top and bottom.

Attachments

• NO Jazz Pen Small.jpg
    NO Jazz Pen Small.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 267
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

Love your Two Tone Treatment, Larry.
The African Blackwood, is Indicative of the "Fret Board",
While Honduran Mahogany from a New Orleans Street Car, places it Roots.
I see your concern about the Fit, it is most Unfortunate.
As a Suggestion, could you dis-assemble the Pen, and add a Sliver of White "Credit Card Material?
That could be representative of the Ivory of early Instruments.
Excellent Finish.
Congratulations,
Brian.

Fireengines

As I stated in the above post, "One note, I trimmed these two blanks perfectly. However, once pressed, there was still a gap between the top and bottom." After further investigation, everything fit together as designed. The center band has a space that makes the pen look like there is a gap.

Additionally, as shown in this photo, the bottom of the center band is not square. As a result, you can see daylight when pressed. Sad, this pen has some much potential.

Attachments

• Music Pen.jpg
    Music Pen.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 178

OZturner

As I stated in the above post, "One note, I trimmed these two blanks perfectly. However, once pressed, there was still a gap between the top and bottom." After further investigation, everything fit together as designed. The center band has a space that makes the pen look like there is a gap.

Additionally, as shown in this photo, the bottom of the center band is not square. As a result, you can see daylight when pressed. Sad, this pen has some much potential.

Who would have thought that the Manufacturer, and Distributor, would let that go Unnoticed, Surely as this Kit has been on the Market for sometime, it is Surprising that it would not have been discovered, and reported previously.

It isn't as if the Supplier and Distributor, are a small Operations.

I use their Products, in the Majority, on the apparent misguided belief, that their Quality Control, would pick up these Annoying and Time Consuming Problems, in their Prototype Proofing, and QA, and long before it would get into our hands.
I expect that the Part in question is manufactured as an Investment Casting, and therefore the Upper Gap, is "Cast In" and therefore a part of the Tooling, hence any problem is in their Die.
The Bottom portion, would more than likely be a Cast Spigot, and then Machined, all before the item was Finish Plating.
Hence a lot of opportunities for the Problems to be Discovered.

Obviously Larry, you have invested a considerable amount of time in Building, Inspecting then Dis-assembling, to discover this Fault.

Not Good Enough from the Manufacturer, Nor the Distributor.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention.
Brian.

oldtoolsniper

I have that pen kit with the laser cut keyboard kit in my to do pile. I'm glad you shared what you did with the pen kit as well as the issue you discovered with the kit. I will pay attention to that from the beginning when I get to that project.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom