From Tree to Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from budnder

budnder

In an attempt to try and track and record successes and failures (and figure out the difference), I've been taking lots of pictures as I've been working. For grins I though I'd post a sequence going from branch on the ground to finished pen.

Attachments

• TreeToPenA.jpg
    TreeToPenA.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 330
  • TreeToPenB.jpg
    TreeToPenB.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 305
  • treeToPenC.jpg
    treeToPenC.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 332
  • TreeToPen-8488.jpg
    TreeToPen-8488.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 336
  • TreeToPen-0976.jpg
    TreeToPen-0976.jpg
    351.1 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

I love the coloring in the last picture .... well done !!

What kind of wood is it ?

budnder

I'm not sure on the wood, but I have the rest of the branch so I'll have a look at it tomorrow and see if I can figure it out. It's a gift for someone and it came from a tree next to his office. I grabbed maybe six pieces of downed wood from around the building.

Branch junctions or saddles seem to have the most character, which is why i went for the section I did.

I go back and forth on the bold colors - looks great on this piece of wood but I've had others where the dye/resin is just too heavy and it just wipes out any wood detail. So I started shortening my times in the dye. The orange that's there came from just soaking a couple of hours, and the purple was from a short vacuum (15 minute). I never really know what I'm going to get until I turn it a bit after that second dye/bake.

Last edited:

SteveAxelrod

Can you share the sequence of dyeing the orange and purple? How did some areas get dyed orange and others purple? Why do the colors in the final photo look so much more vibrant than the colors of the dyed blank? I'm intgrigued and would like to give this a try as the results are beautiful!

Last edited:

budnder

The colors popped when I did the BLO/CA finish. The BLO probably has a darkening effect on the color as well. It doesn't have a real thick finish - I did 9 coats of thin CA, only a couple of drops at a time.

The process was to bake the wood overnight at 200 degrees to dry it out and kill anything in it. Then soak in Cactus Juice dyed Orange for a few hours. Bake. Then vacuum in Cactus Juice dyed Purple for 15 minutes and then soak for an hour. (note... I edited this after my initial post after checking my notes - I originally said I vacuumed for 45 minutes which was wrong) The dye I'm doing eight tenths of an ounce of Allumilte dye per quart of Cactus Juice. I read somewhere that someone had good luck with 100 drops per quart, so was trying to do that and just got tired and figured 100 drops was most of the bottle. I tried to dump the whole bottle in, but noticed I've got a bit still left in my one ounce bottle, which is why I say 8/10.

This was a softer wood. With a harder wood, I'd go longer in the vacuum and use a pressure pot during the soak. With softer wood, I previously tried a pressure pot instead of just soaking and vacuumed for a lot longer... the result was that I completely obliterated the wood with purple... just looked like resin, not wood. I also had soft wood get obliterated in the pressure pot without any vacuum.

Also keep in mind I did eight sticks of different wood and picked out this one as the most interesting. I think one or two others will make nice pens as well. So this may be the sort of thing that only one out of four ends up being a keeper. That's why I started taking pictures... to see if I can figure out a way of predicting in advance what will dye well.

Last edited:

robutacion

Well done mate,

I like the way you shown the sequence of the process from the very beginning. I used to give also that sort of "beginning to end" type posts/threads, it certainly gives a good perspective of things.

Cheers
George

Whitehat1994

Beautiful!
Man I've got a lot to learn, discover and creation to do ahead of me!
Thanks for sharing your pen and the instructions! That has to be so exciting and gratifying to create something like this!

SteveAxelrod

I'm surprised that after soaking and baking in orange cactus juice that the wood was still able to take on a different color dye. And it appears that some areas were dyed orange while others were dyed purple. Wish I could understand how that worked! Thanks for sharing the details!

budnder

Crab Apple, maybe

I'm not a tree expert, but I went back with the wife to the tree that's adjacent to where I found the limb... she said it was a crab apple tree, by her memory. I have a couple of pieces of the same limb in the oven today (drying), so I'm curious to see if the turn out similar or if it was just that one lucky chunk that had the right combination of growth/rot/fungus/whatever.

Top Bottom